Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gemigirl_gw

elevation garden

GemiGirl
11 years ago

I am considering an elevation garden for herbs and maybe a few veggies. any suggestions on a manufacturer or website that sells these? I see very few available locally. also, if you have tried this, how successful have you been? thanks in advance.

Comments (5)

• balloonflower
    11 years ago

I'm not too sure about websites that sell them. You can always design your own, and just buy the corners separately, or build out of something different like bricks or concrete blocks that you may be able to purchase locally.

I do manage an herb garden at the community garden where we have a veggie plot, and sometime prior to me, someone put this beautiful brick spiral planter in. It is built around an old stump, about 4' round, and spirals up from ground level to about 3 ft tall in the center. It currently holds oregano, thyme, marjoram, winter savory, lavender, cilantro, rosemary, sage, fennel, tarragon, onion chives, parsley, garlic chives, and lemon balm. We have a drip irrigation system installed for it, and I mulched it well with some shredded bark mulch. Everything grew wonderfully--the design seemed to help the meditteranean herbs get the proper drainage, and the multi levels are nice for different height plants. Over winter, mulched heavily with straw, the perennials all are sprouting green, although the rosemary is iffy here.

If you are interested in something like this, I could post a picture, though things are a bit sparse at this time of year. I'll have it cleaned up and ready for this year by Sunday.

• enmnm (6b)
    10 years ago

I would love to see a picture of this.

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

Sorry, it took a while to remember to take the ipad with me to snap a shot. Things are finally starting to take off now that it quit snowing here! From the top it contains: oregano, thyme, winter savory, lavender (don't think it survived spring), cilantro, rosemary, sage, fennel, tarragon, chives, parsley, garlic chives, anise hyssop, and lemon balm. Also in the photo is the lovage, which is really taking off.

It is on a drip irrigation system, which seems to work well. If I were starting from scratch, the herbs would be grouped differently, but since somebody else started it, I had to work with what was already there.

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

Cute idea. Since it is a dry wall (without mortar), it should be pretty easy for anyone to try. Just plan out/layout the design before laying the first block! :)

FataMorgana

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

On this particular one, there is a stump in the middle (under the empty pot), but yes, the wall is just stacked. I've collapsed some parts of it accidentally, but it's easy to push back in place.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths