Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stake_gw

favorite variety of thyme

stake
12 years ago

All:

I have packets of thyme seeds...and seen both 'English' and 'German' thyme plants at the local HD...does anyone have any preferences. TIA!

Comments (11)

• Daisyduckworth
    12 years ago

Try to forget 'common names' and opt for the botanical names. If you want the 'true' thyme, the medicinal one and the best-flavoured one, you'll be looking for Thymus vulgaris without any fancy addendum to the name.

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

I agree!

FataMorgana

• nygardener
    12 years ago

I think that German and English thyme are the same variety, with two different names.

I like French thyme, which has narrower and sweeter leaves. But English/German thyme is excellent and hardier.

• ltcollins1949
    12 years ago

Well according to The Herb Society of America there are some 400 or more species of thymes. So it's hard to pick out just one of them. They also state The most widely used in the kitchen are strains of "Thymus vulgaris", which may be sold as common, English or French thymes or sometimes as winter thyme. I really like Lemon thyme T. x citriodorus for its flavor and because it is easy for me to grow it here in south Texas. A lot of thymes can't take our combined intense heat and high humidity!

• jaxnsmom
    12 years ago

My favorite is lemon thyme. I love the flavor, as well as the yellow and green leaves. Although the leaves on the plant I bought this year are all green. It still has the lemony smell, but I don't know why the leaves are different. Does anyone know why?

• ltcollins1949
    12 years ago

There are both lemon thyme Thymus citriodorus and variegated lemon thyme T. citriodorus variegata. Both do very well for me.

• harleygirlmars
    12 years ago

I have purchased several varieties in the past, but agree with the posts recommending thymus vulgaris. Not being labeled with the botanical name, I picked the "French Thyme" today for my new herb bed. I am SO excited.

Oh and the variation issue for lemon thyme might be due to your soil/available nutrients. But that's just a guess from a noob : )

• Daisyduckworth
    12 years ago

The variegation issue is an oldie - most plants with variegations of colour are cultivars and plants will always try to revert to their original green. It's in the genes to be green! Often, you'll see that one side, or a particular 'branch' of the plant will be more green than the rest. Chop it off, and hope it's replaced by variegated leaves. Or, better, take cuttings of bits with the best variegation and propagate from them.

• ltcollins1949
    12 years ago

That is so true daisy. I had a purple ruffle basil that reverted back to green. Thanks for making it clearer!

• mlpgarden
    12 years ago

I believe English and German thyme are the same too. Every time I have grown both and/or seen both for sale at stores, I can't tell the difference.
    I found a lemon thyme plant yesterday and bought it. I like it a lot :)

• roamwhereiwant2
    12 years ago

I can see and taste a difference between German and English thymes. German seems more cold hardy and a littler darker green. But English is hardy enough for my climate and I enjoy its taste more.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!