Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celeste_gw

Chinese parsley

celeste
14 years ago

Does anyone know where I can find a photo of Chinese parsley? I have googled it and only descriptions of all parsley types comes up. Thanks, Celeste

Comments (14)

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

See link

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Google images - Coriandrum sativum

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

Do you mean cilantro??

Here is a link that might be useful: Clickee

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Often, cilantro is reffered to as chinese parsley.
    Then there is chinese celery which also sometimes reffered to as chinese parsley.
    Probably you are looking for the latter

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

Do a search on Asian vegetable seeds.

The closest I could find was Japanese parsley, mitsuba, Chryptotaenia japonica

• bleedingheart89
    14 years ago

chinese parsley is definitely another name for cilantro, and the dried seeds are coriander. pretty neat i think.

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

I have a friend that travels to China. He has told me that Chinese Parsley was not cilantro but tastes differently. He has not been able to find the seeds in this country. However that was about 3 years ago and I have noticed one of our oriental groceries are carrying seeds from various far east countries.

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

The wonder, beauty, and confusion of common names! *grin!*

I've only ever seen cilantro referred to as "chinese parsley" but I'm sure there are certainly other plants that have been called that too. Does your friend know the botanical name? It would be interesting to know. I've grown quite a number of asian food plants and herbs, such as mitsuba, and I'm always experimenting and trying others.

FataMorgana

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

I doubt it but will ask next time I see him. He expertize is bamboo and varigated plants.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Fatamorgana,

I have seen and heard cilantro reffered to as Chinese parsley. They (Chinese) use it chopped with some dishes, a lot.

In the Asian(Korean Chinese) supermarket here they seel a vegetable which is almost twice as tall as celery, but not as thick clumped like celery,
    withe top leaves intact,and the and they are much thinner than celery.So they sell them by the bunch.
    The stores mark them as "Chines Parsley". But to me they are more
    like celery than parsley, flavorvise and leafs size-wise.
    The also come with some root bulb intact. Last year I rooted some and planted.
    So actually I know what I am talking about because I already have them in my garden.
    Last year One of them bolted and grew seeds that I collected.
    Incidently, just today I planted some of those seeds.
    To me, they are much much flavorful than celery, with much less juice but more parsley like aroma and flavor.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Just google/Bing " what is chinese parsley?"
    After my above post I did that and it confirmed that what I have been saying is correct.

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

The plant cyrus gardener is describing is exactly how it was discribed to me by my friend. Parsley that tastes and looks like celery. At one time Baker Creek carried the seeds but the plant is not in there current list.

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

Could you mean leaf celery? Baker Creek does carry that but under their "Celery" category. Or if you are talking about something with a bulb, because then celeriac is always a possibility.

But with some looking at the places that carry asian vegetable seeds, I found a chinese celery. Here's something on that, chinese celery article.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: leaf celery

• celeste
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The nursery must not have know what it was either because none of the suggestions you gave me is the plant I bought. They had labeled it as Chinese parsley. It has a bigger leaf at the top and has pointed leaves. Oh, heck, I should take a photo and post it so I can get identification.

It doesn't taste like cilantro or celery. How much fun is this! Searching for id of plants - great fun. Thanks for all the suggestions.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Celeste,
    From your description it is chinese celery.
    As with regular celery, the taste of leaves is much pungent than parsley.
    Althogh it grows much like celery in size and the shape of leaves but does not form a head like celery.

A picture can speak a thousand words.