Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic chives bulbils?

Posted by tropicsnut (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 29, 10 at 9:15

I have a small onion growing on top of my garlic chive flower stalk. I'm told this is called a bulbil? Can i propagate with this? How do i do that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic chives bulbils?

Just as it seems - put the bulb end in the dirt, water in and let it do as it will!

FataMorgana

o

As far as I know, garlic chives(chinese) have flat leves and produce seeds not bulbits.

It is possible that you have different variety. Or maybe you have planted garlic seeds. Not sure.

o

Perhaps it is a garlic variety. In looking I did find the variety below that was a garlic rather than garlic chives but it had a "garlic chives" name. Perhaps something like this happened to you. Either way, take it as a bonus. Topsetting alliums are quite prolific. I have a great patch of Egyptian Onions or "walking onions" that started from 1 plant. Plant the bulbs and grow your patch!

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic Chives Spears

o

When can i cut and plant? Do i have to wait for roots to appear? Let it grow bigger?

It's definitely garlic chive. Had it for years. The flowers were white and after the seed pods dried/popped, these onions started growing on top. The stems turned from the dried brown colour back to green. The soil has hardened(like clay), could that be why it's growing bulbils?

o

There is a simple id rule: Garlic has flat leaves not round tubular.
If its leaves are tubular then it must be some kind of onion or shallot.

o

This IS garlic chive(Jiu Cai/kau choi, 韮菜) or whatever you want to call it in English. Look at the picture it has flat leaves. The tubular part is the flower stem.

o

For best results, plant when it starts to set some roots. Or you can do as happens with my egyptian onions. Carefully bend the flower stalk to the ground so the bulb touches the soil. Fix it there and let it grow and take root while still getting nourishment from the mother plant. After it has taken root and is growing independent of the mother plant, transplant to where you want it to be.

FataMorgana

o

Thank you. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here