Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corchorus trilocularis

Posted by josie23 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 10:03

Do any of you have experience growing Corchorus trilocularis(Jew's Mallow, Jute)as an annual. I know its hardy to zone 10 and traditionally grows egypt, india, middle east etc.

My sister's MIL is from Lebanon and has some seeds, she would like me to try to grow this for her in my garden.

Any tips or suggestions from someone who has grown it would appreciated. I am also worried that it may be invasive. I can't find much on the Internet about growing this plant, and would welcome any imput.

Thx in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corchorus trilocularis

Hardy in zone 10 does not usually mean "invasive" in zone 5. Can't help much on the plant specifically.

FataMorgana

o

More worried about it dropping thousands of seeds and escaping to other areas, than the plant itself surviving a winter here.

Garlic Mustard & Teasle spread primarly by seeds and they are causing all sorts of trouble around here. I would hate to accidently introduce another problem plant.

o

My experience with tender items like those hardy in Zone 10 is that their seed tends not be very winterproof - unlike native plants that count on the cold to break the seed dormancy. Now some tender plants may have seed that can survive northern US winters but most in my experience do not.

FataMorgana

o

FYI

I stumbled across this post. It is hardy in zone 10 and 11, but treated as an annual in colder climates. It won't survive the colder winters.

I am hoping to grow this in zone 7a. Cannot find how long the growing season is, but I did find out it won't make our winters and is treated as an annual.

o

Since this original post and my answers then, I've grown jew's mallow quite successfully in Western NY State. I harvested the greens for use early on in the season and let the plant grow after that. Pretty yellow flowers. If I had let it get bigger earlier, the seeds probably would have had a chance to mature. But they didn't quite have enough time before the killing frost. Even after harvesting regularly early on in the season, the plants still got to be 4-5' feet tall. Someone in zone 7 should have no problems growing it. Just direct sow when you would plant your tender items like tomatoes in the garden. That's what I did.

FataMorgana

o

Thank you for that, Fata!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here