Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White fuzz on Sage

Posted by pfloyd826 Z7 NY (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 08 at 10:18

Hi,

I've tried to grow potted sage twice now, and the same thing that happened last year, is happening this year. The leaves are developing fuzzy white spots on top of the leaves. There are no bugs moving around on the plant, and nothing moves when I try and prod it.

I tried spraying some baking soda & water last year, which killed the plant overnight, so I'm not looking to do that again. Is this a pest? Is there a way to get rid of it in a way that I can still use it for cooking?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White fuzz on Sage

Sage is usualy not afftect by any fungus problems. Sometimes the whitish coloration is normal. You didn't say wther the plant is indoors, outside, under lights, in a greenhouse. I grew sage from seeds in the past and have never seen any problems. Avoid water on the leaves, and if the spots are few, remove the infected leaves. Direct sunlight is very necessary for good plant health. Any leaf sprays are done carefully and at very weak concentrations. A copper sulfate spray might help, but again, the mixture is misted on and and is at a very weak solution, per the label instructions. Also, Neem oil has been shown to have some help with mild cases of diseases. Suggest that you avoid wetting the leaves and get the plant out into the strong sunlight all day.

o

I'd not spray anything on your sage until you have a good diagnosis of the situation. Would it be possible for you to take a picture and attach it for us to gawk at?

o

I have had exactly the same problem and the plant looks like it is now dying. I am growing mine in a pot on windowsill inside. It gets plenty of direct sunglight and I try not to water it too much. I have taken photos if I can send them to someone as can't attach it here.

o

Is there any way you could have the plant spend some time in a sheltered spot outdoors? I have found that putting a plant beset some some pestilence outdoors can help the plant over come the problem. Whether it is fresh air, more light, wind, beneficial insects, all of the above, or none of the above it can help.

I'm not sure where you are posting from so make sure you know the outdoor temperatures (especially the lows) before putting a plant outdoors. Don't outdoor your plant if you are going to have freezing temps.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here