Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raistlyn

What's turning all my herbs purple!?

raistlyn
12 years ago

Hi,

I was in this forum recently asking about my old mint plant. It had been doing very well since I brought it indoors over the winter but then started to turn a little purple in its leaves. Someone thought it could be verticillium wilt but I was not sure.

I've since brought it back outdoors since the weather was getting warmer, hoping that it would get stronger and the problem would go away. Apparently not... It seems to have turned even more purple! Please can someone tell me if it's really the wilt and if so should I just kill him??

I think it might have affected the lavender too as that's also turning purple and wilting... Both in pictures here.

Many thanks for any advice!

http://flic.kr/p/bHD5ea

http://flic.kr/p/bHD5iv

Comments (8)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Gosh, pretty sad looking plants! When did you last fertilize?
    We really can't help much without knowing what kind of potting mix you use, if the containers drain well, when you last re-potted, and stuff like that.

At first glance, however, the plants appear to be very nutrient deficient.

• raistlyn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks rhizo. I never thought it could be a nutrient deficiency! I'd actually be happy if it was so I can remedy it.

The mint was repotted last summer, so less than a year ago. I haven't fertilised much to be honest... Would a typical garden centre fertiliser for vegetables do? My compost isn't quite ready for use.

I actually have never fertilised my lavender as I read that they don't do well if the soil is too rich and prefer poor soil!! It was repotted llate last summer and is sitting in some sandy mix. Could I have been so wrong??

Thanks again!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Let's remember that your plants are in containers. They need to be treated as such; they have NO way of obtaining any soluble nutrients unless you provide it for them. The worlds of outdoor in situ planting and container planting are as different as night and day.

I'd purchase a regular houseplant fertilizer, one that you can mix with water and apply it that way. It will go to work MUCH faster.

• raistlyn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much! I will do that this evening.

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

Some of my herbs, like lemon balm and thyme, turn purple when they get too cold - like in early spring and late fall. I would say that temperatures are a factor as well.

FataMorgana

• raistlyn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all!

I've fertilised the mint and lavender last night. So let's see. Agree that weather might be a factor as they seemed to get worse after I put them out.

• WyldViolet
    11 years ago

Reddish/purplish leaves are a sign of phosphorous deficiency, something that is very common in dry soil and potted plant culture (nutrients need water to get into the plants). Do give a good well rounded fertilizer with micronutrients and stay away from the typical NPK ones and make sure they are not drying out too much or too frequently.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

A deficiency of phosphorus (P) CAN BE manifest in purple foliage because P is required to make ATP and ATP is needed to turn sugars to starch and to load sugar into phloem for transport. No P - no ATP - no move sugars/starches - anthocyanin (purple pigment) builds up - plant turns purple. But purple foliage is far from an absolute indication of P deficiency.

The most frequent cause of a P deficiency is cool night temps and sunny days, which is why so many plants planted out too early turn purple. This is an environmentally induced deficiency - not an actual deficiency and should remedy itself as nights warm.
    A P deficiency is not the only suspect cause of purple leaves. Nearly any environmental condition that puts the brakes on growth and the accompanying use of sugars, but does not limit sugar production (photosynthesis) can cause anthocyanin buildup and purple leaves.

If only the outer edges of the leaves are purple, it may be a K or Mg deficiency. If the center of the leaves are also purple, it could be too much Ca in the soil or the result of too much water in the soil blocking uptake of P and Mg.

Do not apply a fertilizer with the middle number higher than either of the other two numbers (N & K) to container plants. There is never a need for that much P (relative to N) in container culture unless you're supplying only N in another form. Plants use about 6 times more N than P and the massive doses of P in 'bloom-booster fertilizers' cannot do any good.

Other causes of purple foliage include
    Drought response
    A high level of soluble salts in the soil
    Nutrient deficiencies/toxicities other than P
    Anoxia/saturated soil/compaction
    Herbicide injury
    Exposure to bacterial/fungal pathogens

Al