Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrammy1

herbs and flowers together

gardengrammy1
14 years ago

i brought several herbs(sage,thyme,basil,oregano, fennel,rosemary,tarragon) to plant in containers. can i put flowers in with my herbs, especially the large pots.

Comments (15)

• jojosplants
    14 years ago

As long as they have the same water and light needs.

JoJo

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

Just don't underestimate the size of the herbs. We buy them small, but they grow quickly.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

I would rathe plant some herbs with flowers. Purple/Thai basils are very nice.
    Thyme, rosemary and sageare are very slow growing, need less water, more alkaline/well drained soil not much fertilizers.
    So they are NO No. JMO.

• nygardener
    14 years ago

Pansies and violas are a good choice. They'll bloom in spring while the herbs are small, and you can pull them when the warm weather comes, by which time the herbs will be lush.

• bookworm21
    14 years ago

I am not sure but I don't see why not.

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

Many culinary herbs and flowers have different growing needs - water, soil, etc. - sometimes these needs are at odds! I would NOT recommend mixing flowers and herbs in one pot. Something will end up getting too much water or not enough water, too much fertilizer or not enough fertilizer, etc.

FataMorgana

• CA Kate z9
    13 years ago

I usually have a BIG pot of several herbs growing near the patio (kitchen). I usually have Thyme, Sage and Basil. There are some interesting colors and textures to herbs that can make an interesting pot. I put marigolds in with the Basil last year too and that was nice to look at as well.

• eibren
    13 years ago

It really boild down to how large your pots are and how much of the herbs you hope to have for use.

I prefer to give thymes each their own little pot, because varieties hardy to my area will last for several years, and thyme is easily shaded out by other plants. Maybe a few seeds of rock rose, or another rock garden plant, but nothing larger than that unless your pot is enormous.

Oregano is more vigorous than thyme and also likes a bit more moisture, so it might do well with a flower. Basil also is rather lush and green, and would probably do well with a perennial plant that would eventually take over the whole pot, as it is an annual. You would want to have the fennel with something that would balance its height.

• eibren
    13 years ago

It really boils down to how large your pots are and how much of the herbs you hope to have for use. I have found that placing anything else in with most herbs does tend to limit their growth.

I prefer to give thymes each their own little pot, because varieties hardy to my area will last for several years, and thyme is easily shaded out by other plants. Maybe a few seeds of rock rose, or another rock garden plant, but nothing larger than that unless your pot is enormous.

Oregano is more vigorous than thyme and also likes a bit more moisture, so it might do well with a flower. Basil also is rather lush and green, and would probably do well with a perennial plant that would eventually take over the whole pot, as it is an annual. You would want to have the fennel with something that would balance its height.

• Mike Larkin
    6 years ago

I have read many posts on this site and no one has given a good reason why, with the exception that you should not have plants together with different soil requirements. That is common knowledge.

From Gardeners Supply -

Most herbs thrive in typical garden soil, as long as it has good drainage. However, some herbs, such as rosemary, lavender and bay, are woody plants native to the Mediterranean. These herbs prefer gritty, sharply drained soil. Good drainage is crucial because the roots of Mediterranean natives are likely to rot in moist soil. If your garden soil is heavy, grow these herbs in raised beds or planters.

Most herbs thrive in full sun (six or more hours of direct sunlight per day). If you have a garden that receives less sun, choose herbs that don't need as much.

So if I mix perennial or annuals wil well drained soil requirements with the same requirements for herbs ---- do you see a problem?

• Cathy Kaufell
    6 years ago

Try planting edible flowers with them. Viola,Nasturtium,Lemon Gem Marigolds.

• Mike Larkin
    6 years ago

Thanks Cathy great suggestions. I did a search and will consider.

What about non edible ? Say you are limited on space and want a variety of annuals or perennial and include some herbs in the mix. Keeping in mind that some herbs grow in a well drained mix.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

Rosemary, Lavender, Sage (especially the coloured leaved ones), various Thymes, Oregano (especially golden), Chives, Chinese Chives, Parsley, Fennel ( especially bronze) etc. can all be grown in mixed borders. But in containers there is likely to be a conflict unless the arrangement is temporary or the container very large.

• Mike Larkin
    6 years ago

So if I can expand. Assuming that you selected a adequate sized container (lets say the size of a whiskey barrel) and it had great drainage holes and you choose plants with similar soil/light requirements. Understanding that this container may be something that would be replanted occasionally as plants grew. Would there be any other issue to consider when planting herbs and flowers.

BTW - I have done this in a large galvanized tub, I have basil, parsley, coleus, a small narrow ginko, ( which will only be there for one season) and some other plants and it is doing well. In my zone the herbs and the coleus will be taken by the frost, and the container will be replanted fresh next year. I was wondering if other have tried combinations.

I wanted try something - different.