Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to make Lavender produce seed?

Posted by rafia 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 10:42

My lavender is finally flowering! How can i make sure it makes seed? Should i hand pollinate it? Also, im moving and would like to grow a cutting of the plant to have after i move. How long should the cutting be and should i wait until after the flowers are gone to start a cutting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to make Lavender produce seed?

• Posted by noinwi Z8 Kitsap Peninsula (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 14:22

Leave at least some flowers on the plant to mature until they dry and turn brown. The flowers are now seed pods. Cut the flower stalks and strip the dead flowers into a fine sieve, gently rubbing until the dried material flakes away. There will be seeds in the bottom of the sieve. Or you could just shake the stalk into a bowl or paper bag to get the loose seed.
I've never started lavender from cuttings so I can't help you there. I'm sure others will post information on that. Hopefully you won't be moving until after the flowers mature. Good luck.

o

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 16:41

It would be better to make cuttings when it isn't flowering but it's still possible. Cutting should be 3 or 4 inches long.

o

Seeds - Also, let it grow outside where pollinators can find it.

Propagating lavender has been discussed here many times. Be sure to search this forum for more info.

FataMorgana

o

Thanks guys :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here