Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finished my cinderblock herb garden

Posted by CaraRose 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 10:45

Excuse the lousy cell phone photos.

The shrub rose probably should have been moved first, but it is going to go. I think it would be too much shade (and thorns) that close to the garden.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finished my cinderblock herb garden

Keep it well watered when the summer gets hot and dry. The blocks dry the soil out.

FataMorgana

o

Very cute! What all did you decide to put in it?

o

We had a large bed of chives and oregano previously, so I transplanted some of them. We also had a tarragon that was being smothered by the kale and sage it was sandwiched between so I transplanted that... I had garlic chives and basils I started indoors. I then went to my local garden center and went on an herb buying spree. :)

So right now I think I have chives, garlic chives, Greek oregano, Italian oregano, thyme, mother of thyme (thinking that's going to look good once it starts creeping), sweet basil, lemon basil, lavender (in one of the larger squares), sage (in the big square), french tarragon (sharing a corner of the sage's large square... probably will move it once the sage starts to get large), sweet mint and peppermint (in the upper level blocks which don't have dirt in the blocks below).

Still have some red ruben basil and marsalles basil to harden off and add, and probably another sweet basil. Been debating also getting Mexican tarragon.

I also stuck a few Egyptian walking onions that our old neighbor had planted years ago that had spread through the fence to our yard and into the edge of the oregano bed. Not sure how well they'll fit, but I hated to get rid of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here