Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sage Question

Posted by sonny44 CT (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 10:48

I have some sage plants that winter over nicely.
There are plenty of leaves on them from last year. Should I use these along with the new growth later on?
Or should I remove them or prune the plants back to hard wood?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sage Question

When I lived in Michigan we never had to prune our sage plant, only when we harvested leaves for seasoning which were taken off the ends. I would not harvest the leaves at the bottom, but not because they might not be as useful but I keep seeing sage bushes that only have leaves at the top when this transpires. Now I am not sure if the bush would replace them over time or not but I enjoy a nice full bush rather that one that only has leaves at the end of the branches.

o
RE: Sage Question

No pruning. Use living rather than dead leaves for your uses. I usually wait until after the sage has bloomed and starting pushing leaves in earnest before starting to harvest sage for the season. Usually for me in NY State that is mid-summer. Before that point, I only nick a leaf or two here and there.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here