Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_gurgler

Stevia propagation help

the_gurgler
15 years ago

My wife recently purchased some Stevia. While I don't think growing the plants will be an issue propagation sounds a little more involved. I was hoping for some help here from anyone with experience in the area.

Here are the caveats as I understand them:

- Sweetness of specimens is inconsistent therefore propagation from seed is not ideal.

- Once the plant begins to flower they take on a bitter taste. So, you need to harvest before this.

- Whole plant harvesting (clipping at the base leaving only the roots) is best, but the roots usually only produce sweet plants for 2-3 seasons.

Assuming that all that is true it sounds like I'll need to propagate from clippings. One site I saw said that you can propagate without the use of auxin by simply keeping the base of the clipping moist. Then planting the clipping once 2 inches of roots form. It seems to me that you would have to use some kind of root hormone to get the roots form, but I have no experience with this sort of thing.

Maybe I should try the propagation forum, but I thought there might be more experience with stevia here. My overall goal is to have annual yields of sweet stevia without having to head to the nursery.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (3)