Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this?? (Rosemary Q)

Posted by kmyhr NY (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 11:58

I've had this rosemary a little over a year now. It spent last summer outside and has been happily residing indoors all winter, but last month I moved it and noticed this small pile of ?? on the dish underneath the plant. Looks like worm castings maybe? Is this good/bad/normal?? I've never seen this before and don't see any signs of any other bugs around the plant.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this?? (Rosemary Q)

Wow, "Blue WIllow" for a plant saucer. Your plants have the life! ;)

Worms or something else living in the bottom of the pot near the drainage hole would be my guess. If the plant doesn't seem to mind, I wouldn't bother with it.

FataMorgana

o
RE: What is this?? (Rosemary Q)

Looks like worm castings to me but I'd suggest that you evict (rehome) them. Earthworms are great in the garden but in the confines of a container.....not so much. They turn your potting mix into worm poop, which doesn't have the right consistency to maintain a highly porous structure required for healthy container grown plants.

If you do repot your plant, you could take the opportunity to do some root pruning before potting up in fresh potting medium. Try to get rid of as much of the old soil as possible. Do you know what earthworm eggs look like?

J also suggest you use a piece of window screen to cover the drainage holes. Worms ( or millipedes, sow or pill bugs, slugs) won't be able to get inside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here