Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spider Mites on My Mint?

Posted by thumbalandfall FL (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 24, 10 at 12:33

I recently had an outbreak of Spider Mites on my Rosemary. I put it on a regimen of a deep spray several times a day, and it looked like it had done the trick.

However, my mint has now started dying, and I couldn't figure out why. I was thinking it was fungus (a very sad thought :-( ), but after observing it for about 10 minutes, I noticed crawlies going up and down the leaves.

I can't really see any on the Rosemary at the moment (they had taken up webbing prior). Could it be spider mites on the mint too?

I just isolated both plants (indoor bay window garden). Should I be worried about my other plants too? What would Gardenweb recommend to get rid of these things?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spider Mites on My Mint?

Do a test to see if spider mites are contributing to the problem. Hold a clean sheet of paper in one hand and tap-tap-tap the plant onto it with the other hand. If you see any teensy specks crawling around afterwards, you'll know.

You should know, by the way, that very few herbs are thrilled about being grown inside. They prefer the full sun, plentiful air circulation, and atmosphere of the outside environment.

o

Ladybugs, ladybugs, ladybugs! They will eat spider mites and aphids, they are good for the environment, they won't harm your plants and they are cute to boot!

o

Um, I wouldn't 'think' that our original poster would want ladybugs swarming around inside the home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here