Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dittopuppy

Risking Planting Too Early?

dittopuppy
14 years ago

I know we are a little early here in Atlanta, but I was a bit too ambitious in starting my plants in my basement and I really need to get some herbs moved. Looked at the 10-day forecast and we are in 70s. Do you think it is too risky to plant some basil and herb plants in planters? Don't think the ground is warm enough yet.

Comments (8)

• opal52
    14 years ago

I'm in metro Atlanta. Basil would probably be fine outside in absence of overnight temps lower than 40, but it will just sit there doing nothing. (I have in past springs gotten ahead of myself and transplanted too early.) It really needs warm soil temps to grow. I have Genovese basil started in peat pots but don't plan to put it into containers outside until end of April earliest. You didn't mention which other herbs you want to move. I have sage, oregano, mint, thyme and rosemary which stays in ground or in containers through winter. All are mature plants and out of dormancy now putting on new growth. That said, I have some sage, thyme and mint starts that I'm growing for a couple of friends. They are young plants, so I leave them outside during the daytime but still bring them in at night. I will start leaving them outside when night temps stay 50 degrees or higher. If you planted lots of each of the herbs, why not try moving some to containers. If you have backups you can afford to lose a few. I'm hoping as always for no late cold snaps, so if we are lucky with weather, you may not lose a single plant.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

I am also in metro Atlanta area.
    You did not mentions other than basils.
    Basils are cold sensative, heat loving. Since you are planting them
    in pots you can take them inside if the night low gows under 40F.
    Most other herbs such as chives, parsley, cilantro, dills, sage, thyme,
    tarragon, marjoram, will be fine.

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

Regardless of where you are and what temperatures you are having, you will need to harden off any indoor starts.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Google - Harden off seedlings

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

How long have you lived in the Atlanta area? Can you EVER remember a year when you didn't get a late frost/freeze? Heck, you probably still have three or more weeks until your last average frost date.

What I'm tryin to say is that early planting makes garden centers and wholesale growers very happy.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Not so rhizo,
    The average expected frost date around Atlanta is about April 8 or 9.
    With the advent of technology, we can know with good certainty
    what is in store for the next 15 days. Here we are on 2nd of April and
    for the next two weeks our lows will be in high 40s and low 50s.
    I can bank in this. Actually, today I planted some tomatoes, peppers and eggplants.
    Tomorrow I will plant more of those plus beans. The likelyhood of
    having a frost after April 15 is very very slim. That is the cahnce worth taking.
    Plus, the weather is really warm and the plants will grow instead of just hanging in there.

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

Gee I wish our weather reports were that accurate. I know I am in the middle of the country but even though the reports call for warm weather the next two weeks from experience I know better. The indicator for the last frost is the lilacs blooming along with some of the magnolia's.

Even this has not worked the last couple of years since we have had freezes in May both years. Frosts the plants can handle but 15-25F leaves the fruit trees bare.

I keep a stack of sheets to cover anything that has been planted when we have those late frosts. Or snow storms.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Thos "last frost dates" are some kind of statistical probabilistic averaging.
    They are based on a 10% probability to have a frost after that.
    But as time stretches beyond that, the probability nose dives toward zero.
    EXAMPLE:
    Our "last frost date" is APril 7. Meaning, there is a 10% chance that
    it might go down to 28F(or lower)thereafter. But After April 17 there there is only 10% chance to have a 32F,
    which may or may not be a frost.

These numbers are calculated based on historical data, with a blindfold of what is happening days prior to those dates.
    Even if extended weather forecast goes wrong, you have better odds
    to gamble on its accuracy than error. Combining the historical 10% probability with current near term forecast we can improve our odds by many folds.
    In other words, now I am willing to gamble/bet 100 to 1 that we
    will not have a frost after April 7. This is much better than beting on
    some horse, dogs and rabbit races. Even then, I am standing to protect my seedling in the event (less than 0.5%) we get a frost.

• opal52
    14 years ago

Cyrus_Gardner, I also planted tomatoes yesterday. My Father in Law usually planted his garden on Good Friday. It seemed to work for him since he always had beautiful, bountiful vegetable gardens. I had also checked www.georgiaweather.net for the forecast. I find the historical statistics kept on that site, which is mainly for farmers, very useful. Knowing weather can surprise us, I have back up tomato plants if I have to replace any. If the weather holds and I don't need the extra plants, I will put them in the front yard with a sign saying "Free tomato plants". I have done that before. The plants are usually gone within an hour :~).