Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rosemary getting spots and 'visitors'

Posted by zone24anne Sunset 24/USDA 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 9, 09 at 12:52

Transplanted nursery rosemary to a giant pot on my deck. Going well so far, but I'm noticing little golden colored "polka-dots" on many of the lower leaves.

I plucked one of the worse offenders and did this trick whereby I turn my binoculars upside down and can kind of use them as a makeshift magnifying glass. Here's what I found:

- Aphid-looking creature, looked like it was laying eggs. There were all sorts of similarly-colored balls on the leaf near it.

- Dark little (reddish?) round-shaped bug crawling around- maybe a rosemary beetle? No, upon further googling, those look big. This one is teeny- you could fit 4 or 5 of them across on a rosemary leaf

- amber-colored balls along the side of the leaf

Before I freak out, considering ALL THIS was on the first leaf I plucked, any idea what the spots may mean? The "visitors"? What's my best solution for keeping it relatively bug-free?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rosemary getting spots and 'visitors'

Coming back to say I stopped by the nursery to describe my spots and actually found the same spots on their rosemary plants, so I showed them and they said the spots are due to thrips. They sold me some organic Dr. Earth spray (the kind that has different oils & such in it) so I came home and soaked the plant and moved it into the shade. Hopefully that will help with all of the "visitors"!

o

Keep it in the sun.

o

Tomorrow it'll be back in the sun, but the spray directions said not to have it in the sun right after spraying or it might get "sunburn" : )

o

Neem is also a great product to kill insects that damage plants. Its organic and has been used in many pesticide and even fungicide applications.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here