Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What temperature stunts young basil? (and a parsley question)

Posted by gamebird 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 14, 09 at 12:58

I've got some basil growing in 8 oz cups that I started from seed indoors. There's 50-60 plants, about an inch or two tall and just getting their first true leaves. They look basically healthy right now and I've been bringing them in at night any evening that the temperatures are going to be less than 50. Tonight it will get down to 43. They're out on an east-facing back porch with an overhang. This last weekend it rained during the day and soaked the boxes they are in, so the boxes are now ... not that sturdy. I can re-box them, or just leave them sitting where they are.

I've heard that basil can be stunted, permanently, by letting them experience too low of temperatures. But what temperature is that? Is the mid-40s too low? Should I re-box them and bring them inside tonight? The forecast says we'll have a night of 48 later this week. Should I bring them in that night too?

Speaking of temperature hardiness, I have some flat and curly parsley in the same situation, though I haven't been bringing them inside unless it was going to be in the 30s. They look a bit wimpy and I've been wondering if I should go ahead and stick them in the ground (a prepared bed next to the house, east-facing) or leave them in their cups for a while longer. I've heard they have quite the tap root and shouldn't be kept potted up for too long. Most of them have a tiny little true leaf sticking out now. There's only a dozen or so plants of parsley.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What temperature stunts young basil? (and a parsley question

I do not know the exact temperatur that may shunt basils. But I would think that mid 40s should be fine.

Parsley is a cold crop. It can even tolerate freezin temperatures, that is unde 32F. So leave your parsleys outside and don't wory. With the basils I cannot say anything definite.

o
RE: What temperature stunts young basil? (and a parsley question

I went ahead and reboxed them since I needed to anyway, so it will be easy to bring them inside. I think I'll plant the parsley tomorrow or Thursday, because it's supposed to be cloudy Friday and maybe rain over the weekend.

Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here