Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Help New Gardner

Posted by Jamin724 Rhode Island (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 13:31

Hello this is my first year growing and I am concerned about my herbs. I have planted all different basil's on the left and thyme and oregano on the right. From left to right it goes cinnamon basil> lemon basil (the most grown)> sweet basil> Thai basil> thyme> oregano The basil is my concern now. All these plants are about 2 weeks old and are planted in 1x1 inch seed starter tray. When I started I thought I had evenly spread the seeds but as you can see they are not. Should I thin these seedlings now though they do not have any true leaves on them? Also are they getting leggy? I have brushed them gently with my hand and they feel firm they do not bend and all spring back into place. I have read online to wait 3-4 weeks before transplanting or when they have true leaves. Also I have seen videos/pics of other basil plants who have thicker stems then mine. I live in Rhode Island and what I have been doing is taking them out in the day and then bringing them in at night. I do not use any heating mat or grow lamps. I put the plastic dome on right before I go to bed so in the AM they do get some morning sun and the dome helps with that. Then around 9-10 I put them in the front yard with full sun until about 4-5pm. If anyone can please help I will greatly appreciate it thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Help New Gardner

You'll want to do some reading. See the google search link.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Search - Pricking Out Seedlings

o

I usually thin mine down to two or three per cell, then wait until they've grown a bit and select the healthiest.

o

They are too little to transplant. You need to wait until they have their first set of true leaves. The rest of what you are doing sounds good. I would definitely get rid of most of the extra seedlings,down to 2 or 3 a pot. I find it hard to kill the extras, but you will need to do that unless it is parsley. Then you can let them all grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here