Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bvisailor

Insecticide on my herbs!! :(

bvisailor
9 years ago

I am freaking out!! :( Our lawn-care company came by yesterday while I wasn't home & applied fertilizer & an insecticide called Merit to my lawn AND MY (previously) ORGANIC HERB GARDEN! Obviously I am LIVID and of course they won't return my phone calls or emails.
I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool organic user, but I spent a freakin' fortune for organic soil & plants and I have babied them since February when I put them in. It was way too cold this spring & the yard has looked like a tent city with all the plant covers & hot caps- they've been doing REALLY well & I had high hopes for organic herbs.
I think Merit is applied as a spray onto the foliage; is this correct? Is it something that stays season-long in my plants, or will it essentially be gone in a month like it is when I put it on the dog (Advantix)?
If there's a more appropriate forum to copy or move this to, please let me know or the admins can just relocate it. I didn't post it in the organic forum because I figured that die-hard organic gardeners would advise me to rip it all out, dig it up, & start over. Which I'll do if I HAVE to, but not without having to go through the hassle of suing my lawn care company.
My herb garden is just under 175 square feet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
And yes, the lawn care company has been instructed to NOT apply pest control to ANYTHING when there are no pests to control. :P

Comments (6)

• JoppaRich
    9 years ago

"Imidacloprid is also the active ingredient in Advantage Flea Control and many agricultural insecticides. The chemical structure of imidacloprid (right) is a synthetic analog of nicotine, the natural alkaloid found in the leaves of tobacco and related plants."

• bvisailor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

JoppaRich, that's why I'm not terribly keen on eating the stuff! But I guess I need to know if all is lost with my beautiful herbs, or if I can let the stuff dilute for a couple months. I know it's approved for certain edible plants, but that's not really saying much.
    Am I overreacting, or is all my work & expense for naught?

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

The article in the link says it stays active for weeks to months. This article says it is extremely toxic to bees and other articles say the active ingredient is associated with Colony Collapse Disorder among bees - bad, bad stuff!

Don't take this the wrong way, but why are you treating your lawn with chemicals next to an "organic" herb garden? It doesn't make sense. The chemicals don't respect the boundary between your lawn and your garden. You would be eating those chemicals even if the plants weren't sprayed directly.

I have a 150 year old house with a lawn of the same age. The lawn doesn't get sprayed or treated with anything. No watering either. Sure I have quite a collection of organic herbs or weeds (depending upon your viewpoint) in my lawn. But it is green and healthy all summer long. The grass goes dormant if it gets really hot and dry, but the weeds are often more resilient and stay green even in those times. I have harvested dandelion, plantain, yarrow, self heal, ground ivy, violets, chickweed, and more from my organic lawn/herb garden. All I'm trying to say is, treating your lawn wiith poisons is unnecessary and in fact, not recommended if you are intending to do organic gardening.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Article

• bvisailor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I actually didn't know that they were going to use insecticide on the lawn. I still don't know why... seems strange to me that they treat for pests that we don't have. But they have yet to call me back, so I haven't been able to ask.

I knew they would be fertilizing, but my herbs are in a 30" high raised bed separated from the lawn by about 10' of mulch & brick walkway, so that was a compromise between me & my green-lawn-loving husband. The lawn is newly-installed sod that was laid in January, and the landscaper who installed it said we should have someone fertilize this year to help it get established.

All that said, I wasn't terribly concerned about a little bit of fertilizer overspray, (frankly I think they're so cheap with the lawn fertilizer that it would be a miracle if there was enough overspray to get that far) :P so I knew it wouldn't be truly organic... but I DID know that I wouldn't use any bug-killer on it AND I told the lawn care people to avoid it entirely. So much for that plan...

It does look like horrible stuff. It was applied in granules, so I went out & removed about the top 2" of soil & then hand-picked around all the plants to see if I could get most of it off, but I'm still not sure what to do from here.

It would cost me about $1500 to replace the dirt & plants that are in there, plus the $1500 I already spent to put it all in there in the first place. That said, eating pesticide seems like it could get pricey long-term. :/

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

Was there some sort of contract signed with the lawn people? Did the contract explicitly say no insecticide? If it is in writing and they botched up, I think they should cover the replacement.

In the future, I would suggest that if a green and fertilized lawn means that much to your hubby, that he puts down an organic lawn product himself on the yard. It is the only way you won't be in this situation again.

FataMorgana

• bvisailor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I actually do have it in writing, I guess I was just hoping to not have to start at square one again after all the work I've put into it, but it does appear as though that's going to be the only truly safe option.

Now that you mention it, I recently saw an ad for another lawn care company that offers an "organic" program, maybe I'll call them. We have a huge yard & my husband travels quite a lot for work, I don't see DIY as an option... But I can at least see what the other company uses & see if it's a feasible & safe choice. :/

Thanks for your input. :)