Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boredsogarden

United Plant Savers??? Anyone...?

boredsogarden
9 years ago

I was hoping to join...or start...a chain of like-minded individuals to exchange, propagate, and continue the preservation of plants. I am going off of the "United Plant Savers List of Herbs and Analogs" here. Threatened herbs are below. Please let me know if you have them, and I will let you know what I have. Then, if we could keep the chain going...that would be wonderful! :)
[Alphabetical by Common Name]

American Ginseng
Panax quinquefolia

Arnica
Arnica sp.

Black Cohosh
Cimicifuga racemosa

Bloodroot
Sanguinaria Canadensis

Blue Cohosh
Caulophyllum thalictroides

Cascara sagrada
Rhamnus purshiana

Echinacea
Echinacea spp.

Elephant Tree
Bursera microphylla

Eyebright
Euphrasia sp.

Gentian
Gentiana sp

Goldenseal
Hydrastis canadensis

Goldthread
Coptis sp.

Helonias Root
Chamailirium luteum

Kava, Wild Hawaiian
Piper methysticum

Lady�s Slipper Orchid
Cypridium sp.

Lobelia
Lobelia inflate

Lomatium
Lomatium dissectum

Oregon Grape
Mahonia aquifolium

Osha
Ligusticum porteri, L. sp.

Partridge Berry
Mitchella repens

Pipsissewa
Chimaphila umbellata
Slippery Elm
Ulmus rubra

Spikenard
Aralia racemosa, A. californica

Stoneroot
Collinsonia canadensis

Sundew
Drosera rotundifolia

Trillium (a.k.a. Beth Root)
Trillium erectum

True Unicorn
Aletris farinosa

Turkey Corn
Dicentra canadensis

Venus� Fly Trap
Dionaea muscipula

Virginia Snake Root
Aristolochia serpentaria

Ginger
Zingiber officinale

White Sage
Salvia apiana

Wild Indigo
Baptisia tinctoria

Wild Yam
Dioscorea villosa

Yerba Mansa
Anemopsis californica

Comments (2)

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

Stewardship and growing your own is what I suggest to most people looking to use herbs medicinally. This is even more so for the herbs like these that have been overharvested.

The herbs I've grown successfully or unsuccessfully in Western NY:

American Ginseng (Panax quinquefolia) - Not successful. I planted a plant once. Had it for a couple of seasons before it died. Too expensive to try many like that. Seeds planted have not germinated. Love to try some rootlets.

Black Cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa) - Super easy. Big and beautiful plant.

Bloodroot (Sanguinaria Canadensis) - Expensive to source the corms but easy keeper. Mark well as they and many spring plants are invisible most of the year.

Blue Cohosh (Caulophyllum thalictroides) - Despises the sun. Make sure the spot is full shade, but pretty easy.

Echinacea (Echinacea spp.) - Everybody should have these! Winter sown seed of the various varieties works very well.

Gentian (Gentiana sp) - Unsuccessful. I'm a 3-time looser here and won't try again.

Goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis) - Very successful in the right place -- until rodents dug up my growing patch. :( Expensive to replace but sometime I will.

Partridge Berry (Mitchella repens) - Limited success. Probably won't try again. I'm a 3 time failure on this.

Spikenard (Aralia racemosa) - Can't kill the one I planted. Gets large - think bush-like. Pick your place well! Super easy!

Trillium (a.k.a. Beth Root) (Trillium erectum) - I've planted a variety of types with limited success - they grow but not vibrantly. I do not think trillium are overly found of my woodland garden.

Turkey Corn (Dicentra canadensis) - very easy. Squirrel corn is a cute plant.

Ginger (Zingiber officinale) - house plant only! But rather fun to keep. Turmeric is even more fun. Can't harvest from house plants - no size.

Wild Yam (Dioscorea villosa) - On my 3rd try with this one. I thought it was dead but last year it sprouted and grew well even though it had been MIA for 2 years. Won't try this one again.

FataMorgana

• hilee
    9 years ago

I have (here in low-country, not up-country Hawaii) a very few, though I have been toying with expanding:
    Ginger (all in pots due to inability to find them during dormancy):
    Common ginger, zingiber officinale
    An eclectic collection of other gingers and turmerics:
    Black turmeric, mango ginger (which is actually a turmeric), galangal, finger root (lesser galangal), shampoo gingers, cardamom, etc.
    Kava: Unknown type. I assume it is "the Hawaiian kava" as I bought it from a vendor who specializes in indigenous and endemic Hawaiian plants--but you never know.

Well, so I guess I only have maybe two from your list. I am interested in the wild yam and have been considering ordering it.

Thanks for the thread. More people should be interested in these plants. Maybe if people from different zones all grouped together and planted and shared, they wouldn't be so endangered.
    --Lee