Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Herbs in large pot -- Full sun, partial or shade?

Posted by megret7 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 25, 11 at 14:01

Last year I grew basil with great success -- it was in the corners of my raised bed with my veggies. My raised bed receives directly sunlight from about 10am till 6pm.

This year I bought hardened-off herbs from a local produce stand and want to plant them all in a pot. I have a large 18" terra cotta pot, and the herbs I have are: Sage, cilantro, Italian flat-leaf parsley, and more basil. I also have a rosemary plant, but I am planting it separately in another pot.

From what I've read, rosemary likes full sun and hot temps. Where should I put the other large pot with the other four herbs? My back patio receives direct sun also from 10am to 6pm. I'd thought maybe setting it within my side mulch bed, but it only gets direct sun for about 2 hours a day. The only morning-sun-only ("partial shade") spot at my house is in the front, and I'm not crazy about having my herb garden right at the front in plain view.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Megret

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Herbs in large pot -- Full sun, partial or shade?

All of the plants you've mentioned need a great deal more sunlight than two hours. You are planting all of those plants in one container?

o

Yes, well, except the cilantro. I've since decided to leave that out since it is really a cool weather herb. So in the same pot I hope will go: Sage, parsley, and basil.

o

10 AM to 6 PM= 8 hours. Mine have done fine in that amount of sun. The basil is usually hidden in with the tomatoes, though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here