Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Show me your herb gardens

Posted by eastTXmeg 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 14:11

I was wondering if you guys who know what you are doing would care to show any pictures of your herb gardens? I'm trying to plan mine out and would like to piggy back on y'all's wisdom. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Show me your herb gardens

Some of my herbs are planted in my garden with the veggies. Some are in containers. I will post a couple of pics. Note these pics are a week old.

First pic of my raised bed. This year is lots of maters, and peppers. Some herbs planted in as well.

Bottom right towards the middle is Greek Oregano. I started it in early Oct. from a Bonnie seedling. Two plants in 4 inch Jiffy pots. It has exploded in the past couple of weeks. I had to dig it out when I tilled in early Feb. It seems all that did to it was make it grow faster.

Next in the dead center is a rosemary plant. Again another of the Bonnie Plants seedlings. It was 4 inches tall, and two and three quarter inches in girth of growth when I planted it in June of last year. Since then all I have done is raise it up when I tilled just as I did for the oregano. It is now just shy of two feet tall. I survived drought, frost, Ice, snow, and 5 hail storms to date. My soaker hoses go way far away from it. I leave it alone for the most part. I cut off a few sprigs when I wish to use it to cook with from time to time.

In the top of the raised beds right corner is sweet mint. Left corner is orange mint. I keep them in the corners to keep them in check. If left unchecked they can take over yards, and gardens quick. Many like to plant them in a sunken pot. I keep them in check by cutting lots out. My wife loves mint tea, so I try to keep her in stock on mint. That means cutting out huge amounts. It is super easy to grow. All one needs to grow mint is a cutting, some dirt, and ability to water it.

o
RE: Show me your herb gardens

Here is a pic of my larger container for herbs at this time. I have it planted on the south east corner of the house. It gets a touch of shade in the evening from about 6 pm to dark. Planted inside of it are Mexican Terragon, Thai Basil, Chocolate Mint. I am rooting some of the orange mint in it for a friend of mine as well. It is an old wash tub. I drilled holes for draining, and put pot shards, pond pebbles. I covered that with a thin layer of coarse sand. I then filled it up with potting mix.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here