Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
new2containergarden

Sweet Basil Plant

I bought a Bonnie's basil plant from Lowe's and transplanted it into a pot using the Miracle Grow Potting Soil. I either place the plant on my deck which partially gets sunlight in the early hours of the day or by a window.

In the past week, I noticed that the new leaves that are growing are wilted, specifically turning, downwards. When I look at them in the morning, I'm starting to see little tears on the edges of the bigger leaves. Sometimes they are in the middle of the leaf. I try to clip the larger leaves with tears and dispose of them. The color of the leaves are green so I do not see discoloration patterns. The wilted leaves look like they have very little bumps towards the end of the leaves, but they still appear more green. Maybe they're a little lighter. I'm not sure. I might think that because I notice the bumps. When I look at the underside of some of the bigger leaves with a small tear, I find little brown bits. I'm not sure if they're really bugs because they don't move. I can just scrape them and nothing happens. I don't think it's from the soil because the color is lighter than the potting soil. They don't look like the white aphids that I've seen in pictures online.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with the basil plant? What are the brown bits? Why are some of the new leaves wilted and why do some of the bigger leaves have tears? Is this plant still safe for eating? Can I discard the part of the leaf with a tear and eat the rest? Can I wash the brown bits and eat the leaves?

I'm new to container gardening and I would really appreciate any advice. I tried searching for information online, even you-tube videos, but I can't find anything that sounds similar.

Thanks!

Comments (4)