Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which of these requires the least amount of sun?

Posted by drayven 8b (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 2, 09 at 14:18

I have a corner of my garden that I want to grow SOMETHING in but it only gets around 2 hours of direct sun.
Would any of these herbs work?
Parsly
Rosemary
Thyme
Basil
Oregano
Any other "common" herbs that would work that I am missing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which of these requires the least amount of sun?

The herbs you listed like full sun. Rather than fighting the spot, find a nice shade loving herb like violets to go there. Many native wildflowers also like shady locations and are herbs, albeit medicinal ones.

FataMorgana

o

Would lemon balm work?

o

Thyme isn't too fussy about sunlight. Being a woody plant its OK if there is not full sun all the time. Basil can also be OK, but the shade should be as little as possible. Tree pruning nearby can help. To look for growing requirements suggest that you do a simple web search for each herb and its needs and habit.

o

All these like full sun, but parsley can tolerate some dappled sun in the afternoons if you have a very hot climate.

Lemon balm is a member of the mint family. Like all the mints, it prefers full sun, but in hot climates may do well in dappled sun, or in an area which is protected from the harshest afternoon sun. In such a climate, the leaves will be larger if kept in dappled sunlight, but they won't have as much flavour as when grown in full sun.

I find that basil and thyme must have full sun - and as hot as it can get! They tend to get very woody and leggy if put into a more shaded area. Both need more water than most text-books will tell you - but excellent drainage is essential.

o

Cilantro loves the heck out of some shade/coolness.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here