Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I think my 3 year old munstead lavender s have died!

Posted by libraqueen81 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 14:19

I have 8 munstead lavender plants that have survived each winter but I fear not this winter was to cold and possibly killed them because they are all crunchy to the touch and the bark appears to have split. I never really saw them like this before so I'm a bit freaked out as they are my babies :). .any thoughts anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I think my 3 year old munstead lavender s have died!

My only thought is to wait and see. Give them a chance to shoot from the stems. If there's no sign of life by July they are probably goners. Have you scratched the bark to see it it's green underneath?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 14:49

Splitting bark sounds like cold damage. I wouldn't wait around on replacing these with something hardier.

o

These lavenders are hardy to my zone and are 3 years old and have survived winters past. I'm thinking since this past winter was really bad with sub zero temps, it might have done something to them.
I did the scratch test, thanks Floral_UK, I totally forgot about that one. All 8 have different results in different spots. So I did the scratch test on the main stem of each. It's all good there. I'm wondering if its too soon to prune? They are really big sized Lavenders and it would be a shame if they got woody. I usually prune after the first flowering, but since there is a lot of dead and dry parts, would it be a bad idea to give a good prune?

o

I agreed. Wait and see - you've got nothing to loose. I must say that it has been a hard and long winter here in the Northeast. If your winter has been the same, definitely wait. New growth is still some while off so I would wait to prune the lavender. Do it when the temperature gets more mild and perennial plants start to show their new growth. That is the time when plants like sage, thyme, and lavender perk up and begin to show what is alive and what is dead.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here