Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soil for rosemary

Posted by reneenunez z8 TX (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 27, 08 at 14:22

I read a few posts on growing rosemary and there seems to be some debate on soil type. Everyone seems to agree that well drained soil is a must so I am not going to grow it in my largely black clay soil.

My idea is to mix some garden soil with perlite and dillo dirt. To improve aeration and prevent compaction. Does this seem like a good idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soil for rosemary

Clay soil isn't a problem, as long as it drains. I have my rosemary growing quite happily in my hard, red Alabama clay. I'm careful about watering, of course....but it has done very well. I have several plants.

If you DO decide to amend the soil, be sure to do a very large planting area not just the hole where the plant will go.

o

Mix in some sand and perlite, dig down about 8 inches deeper than its originally potted in. This should give some dainage. also a mound planting can help too. Rosemary isn't that fussy, as I had it in level 'gravely' soil with minimal drainage and it did just fine.

o

The best method of amending soil is to add lots of compost to it. It works with heavy clay or sandy soils and anything in between to improve drainage and soil condition. You could toss in a bit of dolomite, too, which helps to break up the clay.

o

I removed the sod and dumped top soil onto my red clay.
I mixed in compost (cow manure). That was all. The rosemary are actually TOO big now (I planted them 3 years ago) and I constantly prune them back.
They like it dry.....once established, do not water them.

o

Cow manure, must be composted about a year before use. If added in a fresh state it can damage and kill plants, as well as produce many odd looking weeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here