Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theforgottenone1013

Question About Lavender

The question is about the way my lavender grows. I have 'Grosso' lavender that I planted three years ago. The first year I planted it, it didn't do much most of the year until about midsummer/early fall when it started growing like crazy. I found that a little odd but I though it was because it was establishing itself. The second year it did the same thing. It just sat there until midsummer and then exploded with growth. It didn't flower either year. And the new growth on it isn't soft, green, and supple, it's hard and woody. Very shrub like. This year it appears like it's going to do the same thing. Everything else in my yard and garden is growing but there isn't any sign of life from the lavender.

I've never grown lavender before so I'm just wondering, is this normal? Or is this how 'Grosso' is supposed to grow? If it isn't should I just dig it out and start over?

Here's some info: I bought it as a potted plant. The soil where it's at has good drainage, it's mulched with pea gravel, and it's in full sun. I treat it the same way as the other drought tolerant plants (penstemons, salvias, catmint, echinacea, etc.) that I grow.

Comments (9)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I haven't grown 'Grosso', but I do like 'Hidcote' lavender! It's great, despite our cold winters, blooms half the summer (starts early July) and keeps going until frost. Hidcote is an English lavender, so it doesn't seem to mind the clay soil or the extra water...it's growing in front of the roses. Wonderful for keeping the deer out and brings in lots of bumblebees. Maybe try a different lavender?

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to dig out the 'Grosso'. I don't know if it was something I was doing wrong or if the plant I have is just screwy. But whatever the problem is/was, it's coming out. 'Hidcote' has always looked interesting and I was thinking about planting it last year. I probably should have.

Rodney

• freki
    12 years ago

I had no luck with Hidcote here (didn't over-winter), but my Munsteads are seeking world domination. Hidcote is more polite if you can make it work, but Munsteads are definitely tougher. They are both English lavenders, so there isn't much between them, otherwise

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

Munstead has always worked very well for me in western NY State. Lots of rain, cold and snow here - including numerous inches of snow yesterday!

FataMorgana

• Laura6NJ
    12 years ago

Did you prune the Grosso back each year? If you don't prune back, Lavender becomes very woody. If you haven't pruned it ever, then I would suggest pruning a few of the woody stems and see if it starts to send any new shoots out. Don't just chop all the old growth off though unless you are willing to take the chance that the plant may not make it. For careful pruning, just a few of the woody stems. My lavender has been growing here in NJ for at least the last 6 weeks or so. If the grosso is too far gone you may have to start over with a new plant. I always try to salvage first though.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I tried Hidcote, because it was listed as zone 4, while Munstead was zone 5. It is less aggressive, but I also haven't had to prune it, at all. My mom has both and likes both, but I think the Hidcote is a little better behaved :)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Here's a picture of the lavender in the front of the bed, the year I planted it. They've grown a bit closer together, but I could still fit some alyssum between them :)
    {{gwi:47436}}From Lavender's Garden

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice.

I went and bought a small 'hidcote' plant yesterday as a replacement and as I was about to dig out the 'grosso' I noticed that it is starting to put out some green growth finally. Which is about one and a half to two months earlier than last year, but still way behind. I think I might leave it be to see what will happen this year. If it doesn't flower this summer, it's coming out in the fall. At least now I've got a backup plant.

LauraNJ- I pruned it last spring in the hopes that maybe I might force it out of dormancy and into growth, but it didn't work. And the new growth it eventually put out was still very woody.

lavender_lass- I would be happy if my plant looked half as good as yours do.

Rodney

• Laura6NJ
    11 years ago

Rodney- Many times if it isn't pruned each year, and about 1/3 or so is pruned, then it does become really woody. Lavender puts on growth after the wood and the wood develops fairly quickly. I had one I missed pruning last year and it has about a foot of wood. Well, it did until I pruned a good half of the wood way down and left the other half. It sent up tons of new shoots. The wood I left put on new growth at the top so not looking so pretty. I stuck the long branches into the dirt and am letting them grow roots and then I will separate from the mother plant.

Best of luck with your new plant!