Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How invasive is horehound?

Posted by christinmk z5b eastern WA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 14:39

My mum really wants me to grow some horehound (Marrubium) for her. I hear different things about the invasiveness factor. Apparently it is a noxious weed in TX- not sure about anywhere else. I don't want to plant it if it is terribly invasive- not after the difficult time I've had dealing with oregano-gone-wild, lol.

Do you grow it and has it been a problem for you? Spread by both seed and rhizome I assume?
Thanks much!
CMK

This post was edited by christinmk on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 14:42

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How invasive is horehound?

We had it as a weed around my house since I was little. As far as weeds go, I've dealt with worse. I think it primarily spread by seed (which it probably produces a lot of, judging from the number of tiny flowers), I never noticed it appear to spread via roots or rhizomes.

I'm not sure if it's annual or perennial. You may be able to deadhead the flowers off and avoid reseeding.

o

Invasiveness in my heavy-clay, Western NY State location is about a 0. I actually have trouble keeping it going - I think the plant I did have is gone. RIP. Not sure I'll keep trying. I think I've killed 4 different plants here over the last 10 years.

FataMorgana

o

Humm....polar opposite answers there, lol. Maybe I'll give it a go and simply hack off the flower heads before they set seed.
CMK

o

It doesn't grow all that fast. Ify ou hrvest it to dry and use, I doubt it would be a problem.

It has reseeded in my area, in a spot with little sun but sharp drainage, but was easily overshadowed by other plants eventually.

On the other hand, some I had out next to the street in a pot has overwintered with no protection.

o

Yes, "invasiveness" and success is largely dependent upon your conditions and so vary wildly. I wish you luck!

FataMorgana

o

Just to clarify, it was weedy here, but only in areas that you didn't tend to. If you ripped it up before it went to seed it would vanish. I didn't consider it invasive.

Pollinators love it :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here