Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
archoo16

Rosemary, browning stem

archoo16
11 years ago

Hi, I bought this little plant at a farmer's market 2 weeks ago. I put it in a slightly bigger container with some potting mix, without disturbing the root ball. It had a clump of dense clay soil. Its been 2 weeks and I haven't noticed any new growth. Also I noticed some browning of the main stem . I know its a woody herb. But It look a tad too brown and I hope the plant is not dying.

It smells wonderful. Should I leave it be or repot after removing the soil clump around the root ball? It gets over 8hrs of sun light every day. Its indoors since the weather has been crazy here. dropping from 60 to 36 degrees. And freak hail and tornados. I haven't fertilized it yet since the potting mix usually has some slow release fertilizers.

Comments (12)

• gjcore
    11 years ago

It looks okay to me. Rosemary isn't a particularly fast grower and it's probably putting more energy into expanding it's root system now.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Not disturbing the root ball will do nothing to encourage the new roots to grow into the new potting medium. It's encouraged that you make several sharp cuts (vertical) into the roots before planting gently. Some would encourage that all of that dense clay be rinsed off.

By the way, that planting mix looks bone dry....is it? New roots will never enter it, if so.

• archoo16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys.

Its moist after my finger tip depth, looks dry. Besides it was not root bound. So I didnt cut or anything. Just removed from the tiny cell and moved it to this.

I'll see how it does and will repot after removing the clay if it doesn't show signs of growing.
    Thanks again.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

As has been said, Rosemary is VERY slow growing.
    Yellowing can be due to possibly:(1) too much water (2) Not enough light.

• margowicz
    10 years ago

would only worry if the leaves change colour rosemary a woody herb wood stem when it grows matures it will change from yellow to a more woody looking stem e.g yours but the tips will be yellow as still tender....

plenty light a multi purpose compost with perlite/vermaculite or sharp sand threw it and it be good mine is in sharp sand 4 parts compost with 1 part sand and it thriving I got a couple but I wouldn't worry till leaves start changing

• archoo16
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. :D update, my rosemary is doing good. fed it some dilute fertilizer, came back from 2 week vacation. Now all branching out and getting bushy. :D I did pinch the top before leaving though.

Thanks again.

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

Although you say your rosemary is doing well, to me it looked healthier in the first picture. Although it has indeed put on growth, in the second picture it is showing signs of etiolation. I think it has been pushed too fast with insufficient light and the new growth is sappy and soft, not stiff and tough. That kind of growth is prey to aphids and moulds. On a healthy plant texture should be more like pine needles and the stem length between the leaves should be shorter. Is there a reason it is indoors? Is it too cold outside for it?

• archoo16
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Its getting sun all day. I brought it in for the picture. It gets sun from 9 am till it gets dusky outside which is around 8pm. But gets direct sun only till 5pm. But I bring it in the nights , some times temps drop below 55- 50.

aaaah! It was inside for over 10 days when I was out of town. I think that must be it. Its getting good sun now. Will it be ok?

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

Aha - should be fine now then. But don't feed it again for a few months.

• archoo16
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okie :D :D

• Grace Concepcion
    3 years ago

Are the stem weak or strong? I am just a child. Using my mother email