Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are chives well behaved in an herb bed?

Posted by kmickleson z9 CA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 15:10

Just getting my first raised bed--for herbs. Bought a couple of 'Allium - Chives' plants at Home Depot and am trying to figure out if I should put them in their own pot because they'll take over the planting box.

Also,tips to keep them from going to seed quickly?

Thanks,
Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are chives well behaved in an herb bed?

Mine are very well behaved. They stay small for me. Keep the flowers pinched off and they won't go to seed.

o

They should stay well behaved. They will need to be divided every couple years or so, but they don't generally spread if you pick the flowers off--they are great in salads, make vinegar, etc...before they seed out. My in ground chives flower once or twice a year, usually in early summer, then again in fall if you clipped the flowers.

Now, if you bought at HD, you've got onion chives. Flat stemmed garlic chives are a different story and here they spread and need to be divided out yearly to keep in check.

o

Chives are very well behaved here even without dead-heading them before they drop seed. Yes, there is some spread and some self-sowing but that happens with most perennial plants. They are a wonderful addition to your gardens.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here