Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sage

Posted by AbbyU 6-7 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 15:17

This is a cutting off a sage plant. I am hoping someone can tell me if this is an edible variety. I can get a photo of the whole plant if needed. The plant is like a small shrub, woody stemmed, and grayish green in comparison to the plants around it. I just transplanted this plant from my deceased parents home. I like to use my herbs but want to be sure of this variety before doing so. Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sage

It does look like Salvia officinalis, culinary sage.

o

I agree. Have you crushed a leaf to test for culinary sage's distinctive odor?

o

It smells like sage but I didn't know if inedible varieties smell the same. It smells greener than my dried herb of course. I wonder what would happen if I ate the wrong variety. ;)

o

You're in for a treat if you aren't used to fresh sage. Sage, Rosemary, Coriander. I could just sit in a patch of that for hours. Yours looks just like common culinary sage.

If you are worried you have the psychoactive salvia divinorum, it is definitely not. They look very different, and divinorum does not have a wonderful 'sage herb' scent to it at all.

o

Thanks, bardamu! That makes me feel better! :) It has been 10 years since I grew my own sage. Looking forward to having it in my garden again.

This post was edited by AbbyU on Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 21:45

o

S. divinorum wouldn't survive a zone 6 winter. Zone 6 rules out some of the other Salvias as well.

I agree - looks like the culinary sage. You will love the blooms. They are a blue-violet. Give the plant full sun and EXCELLENT drainage. Once it has gotten over the transplant shock, it probably won't need to be watered again if you have planted it in the ground. Best to err on the side of too little water rather than too much with this one.

FataMorgana

o

Thanks for the tips, FataMorgana! I want to prune it also after it settles. I rescued it from an area overgrown with weeds, so it is very leggy and all the green is at the tips. I think I'm a zone 7 regardless of what the maps say because of what I can grow here... I even have tropical ginger that survives here.

o

Glad to help. It should like the sun and warmth or your location quite a bit but just so you know, sage does survive quite nicely even in my frosty zone! :)

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here