Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dark spots on my basil

Posted by yster Minneapolis, MN (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 08 at 15:52

Hi there, rookie grower here!

We've been startng some herbs under the lights we're using for starting our tomato plants, and everything seems to be going great for everything but the genovese basil, which has random dark splotches of coloration.

If you told me these were common on the plant I'd believe you because they really don't look unhealthy otherwise. However, the darkness of these splotches seem to suggest something bad is happening. All of the plants have these splotches, but not on all the leaves.

I'll post a picture or three as soon as the girlfriend gets back to take them. Thanks in advance and I hope to hear some reassuring news! Regards,

-Matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dark spots on my basil

Basil may like to be put outdoors in bright sunlight. Green splotches may be normal or could be insect problems like spider mites which are very tiny. Depending on the seed starting soil and its health, you may have some diseases that are showing up. If the days are warm, place the plants outdoors for a few hours per day. Plant lights are only a substitute for getting very young tender plants started and should not be considered when you actaully want to grow and harvest this herb. Seed starting soil should always be sterile and offer good water retention as well as good drainage. It should also be light and not compact down so the roots can grow. Avoid spraying leaves of plants when growing indoors under plant lights, especaily if its the first few sets of leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here