Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lead in my herbs??

Posted by illogical 6-MA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 08 at 16:30

Hi Guys!

I'm new here, will try to behave ; )

Just wondering how concerned I should be about lead getting taken up by the herbs I've just planted all around the edges of the building I live in. My next door neighbors apparently had their soil tested and it came back with fairly high lead levels. I can only assume that there's some lead in my soil if I'm so close to their yard. I'm sure the plants will be fine, but will I be okay if I eat them?

For extra credit, are there any specific herbs that are more or less likely to uptake a lot of lead? I've read a few studies that suggest leafy vegetables like lettuce and cabbage are more likely to be problematic than, say tomatoes or eggplants. Since leafs are what I'm after with most herbs, does that mean they're all in the danger zone?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lead in my herbs??

I think the link below answers your questions. If it doesn't, I would suspect google can offer up other sources - this was the 2nd link found by google in a search I did.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Lead in Soils and Plants

o

Thanks, that's actually one of the articles I read earlier today. I've found others saying that lead uptake can be a problem, but I haven't found any specific info on herbs. It seems like since they're leafy, they're more prone to lead uptake, but since I'd only use a small amount of herbs per meal, maybe the lead exposure would be minimal regardless.

Dunno, anyone else gardening with lead?

o

Have your soil tested just because your neighbors soil has lead does not mean your would. Also check to see if your area has Galena or any of the other lead producing ores. Most areas of this country have lead in the soil. It just depends on what form, soluble or not, and how much is present.

o

Soil contaminates are often taken up and stored in the leafy parts of plants, as well as the stems and roots. That might help to answer your question about the herbs.

o

I would be less concerned about lead in herbs because you are consuming less. If you are adding vegetables and major food items, I would definitely have a soil test and add raised beds. That wouldn't necessary be a bad idea for your herbs as well. You will end up with healthier plants. Much will depend on the age of your home (think lead based paint and leaded gasoline), and the history of your land.

The best plants I know of for extracting lead are spinach and creeping charlie, aka ground ivy.

o

Common Ground came into New Orleans after Katrina and did major lead abatement (try googling abatement) using lamb's quarters, collards and sunflowers. The roots draw the lead out of the soil and you throw away the plants. Supposedly the sunflower seeds do not contain lead, but....I wouldn't eat them.
One strange sight out of many in post Katrina New Orleans was my friend's totally wrecked ranch style house, the lawn filled with sunflowers--blooming--in January.
Me, I would grow in a raised bed.

o

Hi Illogical--

If you are still following this thread - would you mind contacting me directly? No worries -- it's all good!

With best regards,

Tamara Amey
GardenWeb Community Manager

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here