Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gborosteve

Meyer, Eureka and Sambo Lemon Trees

gborosteve
17 years ago

It feels like a picture day. Wanted to share a picture of my new lemon trees. From the left: Sambo Sweet, Meyer, Eureka and Meyer. The first little Meyer is actually putting out fruit already. The Sambo has dozens of little lemons on it. Very little, but what will become lemons.

Comments (9)

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

They are very cute! You may not want them to put out too many lemons this early in the game... it sucks energy from their growing. I'd do like one per tree.... till next year, if you can wait! :o)

• gborosteve
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Seems when consulting with the experts, there's little I have to do to the Meyers and the Eureka.

Both are small, and won't put out much fruit this year, which I kind of already knew. And what the plant can't sustain well enough to produce a good fruit, the plant will simply drop from the tree. So nature takes care of it. The Eureka and Meyer do have a fruit each on them, although they look like little limes. But I don't think these will zap their energy.

But the Sambo Sweet. It's much more mature (about 5 feet tall) and can handle putting out fruit.

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

I'm not familiar with "Sambo Sweet"; please tell more about this Lemon tree.

• jeffintpa
    16 years ago

When I moved to FL one of the top items on my to-do list was own a lemon tree. Other citus trees are readily available. but oddly enough, it took me 3 years to find a lemon for sale locally. So, when I found a Sambo Lemon tree, which I'd never heard of until that day, for sale at a Lowes a couple of weeks ago (Oct '07), I jumped on the purchase without hesitation, even though it was sold in a 3 gallon pot marked with a 5 gallon price tag.

I found limited online information on Meyer trees being suitable for indoors, but nothing on indoor Sambos. My question is how do I best care for my Sambo lemon tree? I live in a condo with the only outside spot facing north, under a 6' overhang. The other alternative is indoors at a southern facing window. 'Sammy' is about 5.5' tall, very healthy looking, the graft is some 6" above the soil. Sammy is bearingno lemons. I'm hopeful for next season!

On a side-note, lemons sold at the local markets in Tampa are typically shipped in from California, or even South America, and I pay literally 6 times as much for a lemon here as up north. Fortunately, I've befriended locals with large trees on their lawns! These fresh lemons are SO much tastier than any I've ever purchased at a market. :)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• flora_uk
    16 years ago

I have a potted Meyer which is about 15 years old and only about 3 feet tall. I do not prune it except to occasionally neaten it up a bit and it produces small lemons regularly. They are a bit more tangeriney tasting than most lemons. It is relatively hardy and usually lives outside from March to Christmas. It has even spent two winters outdoors, lightly hung with fleece (remay) when we had builders in and I couldn't get them into the porch. In Florida I would think a Meyer would cook indoors in a South facing window. I don't think it would object to being in a Northern aspect as long as it had fresh air.

• ca77le
    16 years ago

My children when through a phase where we had to plant any seed that came from something we ate. As a result I wound up with what I believe is a lemon tree. Or a citris of some sort. I have had it for about 5 years. Has any one had any experience with a tree from a seed? It is about 4' tall and has never flowered. Can anyone tell me about their experience?

• oldroser
    16 years ago

My Meyer lemon was inherited from my mother and is 49 years old. It bears regularly every year - a half dozen or more lemons. They are a bit sweeter than regular lemons but have a wonderful flavor, thin skins (and seeds). It spends the summer outside and the winter in a south window - they do need sunlight.
    Growing a lemon or other citrus from seed is a different problem entirely. They can take a very, very long time to bear fruit. The Meyer is a natural dwarf and precocious- it will flower its second year and start fruiting a year or so later. With a seed grown tree,you need an enormous amount of patience.

• angeloalfaro_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

How to take care my sambo lemon tree in virginia.