Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cpereira_gw

Trouble germinating coriander seeds

cpereira
17 years ago

Hello,

I am trying to grow coriander from seed. I used potting soil and have them indoors. Nothing is happening.

What am I doing wrong? My basil, tomato, chives have started sprouting but no coriander seeds have sprouted.

Its been about 2 weeks since they went in the pot. Seeds are fresh - ordered this year.

Any advice?

Thank you.

c.

Comments (14)

• Daisyduckworth
    17 years ago

Coriander will self-seed readily. Sow seed in spring in situ  seedlings do not transplant well. The Âseeds are technically the fruit, each containing 2 true seeds. Germination can be improved by rubbing the fruits until the 2 seeds separate. Soak the seeks for 3-4 days, changing the water twice daily, then dry the seeds for 8 hours before planting. Sow seeds about 5mm deep.

• nygardener
    17 years ago

One source says they can take a while, about 3 weeks, to germinate. You could soak a new batch as Daisy suggests, but  assuming they're buried no more than ½" deep  I'd give yours another couple of weeks and just make sure the soil stays moist, not dry or soggy.

• cpereira
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all for the tips. I have the seeds separated, soaked and in pots now - so that I won't have to transplant. Now to wait to see if it works.

• cpereira
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I took the "in situ" advice and planted the seeds in a pot outdoors. Looks like they have finally germinated and little shoots are sticking out. Hopefully, those are cilantro shoots :)
    Thanks all for your advice. Next year, I'll break the seads, soak and start earlier.

• karen_b
    17 years ago

All spring I've been wondering what has been eating my seedlings (starting seeds indoors under lights on a heat mat) and why some seeds weren't sprouting. Until I sowed squash seeds and saw holes dug in the soil. I set a mouse trap and the first night I got it. After reseeding I have nearly 100% sprouting, even the coriander and peppers.

Have you double checked if the seeds are still in the soil where you sowed them? LOL

• rishijoshi0123_yahoo_co_in
    12 years ago

I broadcast the seed of coriander just ten days ago but it has not germinated yet.I am keeping the soil always damp.What should I do to to get it germinated?

• jackleroy
    11 years ago

Did this work for you? Just curious since I'm having the same problem.

• noinwi
    11 years ago

Mice do like coriander seeds. I once pulled several plants and placed them upside down in a paper sack to collect the seed, then left them in my little plastic greenhouse. I'd check on them once in a while as they were dropping seed into the sack and one day I took the plants out and there were no seeds at all. There were however, mouse droppings. It wasn't a fair exchange, IMO.

• loomis
    11 years ago

I once bought a plant from the local nursery and every year since, cilantro has self seeded in my garden. It seems to come up in the oddest places and I am always mystified at how it can grow at one end in my garden and then come up in an entirely different location the following spring.

This year it went to seed early so I scattered some seed and am now using the small sprouts for guacamole. The rest of the seeds on my remaining plant will undoubtedly come up next spring.

So anyway, once you plant it, you probably will never have to do it again.

• Lindsay Lulu
    7 years ago

Coriander seeds do not need: scarifying (breaking the 2 seeds apart is not scarification by the way) or soaking before sowing. The seeds just take a few days to fully imbibe-it's the nature of the seed coat. Breaking or soaking just speeds things up by a couple of days. Everyone seems to be forgetting the most important thing here since these are warm climate seeds- HEAT. They will germinate eventually at room temperature but if you can keep the soil at 25°C, you will speed things up a lot.

• surfkauai
    7 years ago

I live in Hawaii - warm year round. I have been trying and trying to germinate coriander seed, but no luck. After potting soil didnt work, I even tried germinating in pure vermicast. Seed depth 1/4 inch, I am planting in a pot, a few inches apart. The seeds are SAnto Cilantro organic seeds by High Mowing Seed Co

• Marcel Victor
    7 years ago

Cilantro is the plant that produces the seed named coriander, I grow cilantro every year from seed indoors and outdoors. The seed needs moisture and warm at all times. If you are having troubles with germination try seeding in 6 or 9 pack trays with 2 to 3 seeds per cell, then place tray inside a clear plastic bag and place bag in a warm temperature location, checking for germination and moisture. Cilantro is very easy to grow, but remember that coriander seeds need moisture and a temperature about 18 to 24 celsius to germinate.

Find out more about gardening here:

• wowen1
    7 years ago

Correction: Cilantro is Spanish for coriander.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz