Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nomorenicksleft

My fenugreek seeds have germinated.

nomorenicksleft
15 years ago

Last week, I bought a small bag of fenugreek seeds from the local indian grocer. I poured some into a wet paper towel, and I think it's been 4 days now, and I noticed that many have germinated (though non had even 16 hours ago). My count puts it at 38% germination, and I have little doubt that another day or two would boost that.

But what do I do now? I realize that I have no idea what to plant it in. My other more conventional herbs are all in 4" or 6" pots, but will fenugreek be a bigger plant? Will the good composted manure potting soil I have be fine, or does it require something more sandy or what? Will this grow fine in a sunny window sill, or will I have to put it out for the summer and hope that I can nurse it through each winter?

I just wanted to make my own curry, and I suppose I should have done more research.

Also, can anyone recommend what other herbs/spices I might want to grow for a true curry? Wikipedia lists many that don't sound so curryish to me, but of those I'm already trying to grow coriander, cumin, fennel, garlic, and several varieties of hot chilis. I'm even wanting to try to grow cardamom, turmeric, ginger, and nutmeg, though how to go about doing those remains an unknown.

Any advice, criticism, or conversation is appreciated.

Comments (16)

• Daisyduckworth
    15 years ago

You have 2 alternatives. Either you eat the germinated seeds as sprouts, or you can try to transplant each tiny one into some potting mix, which may or may not be a successful venture. Perhaps try again, this time planting the seeds directly into the potting mix or propagating mix (finer than ordinary potting mix).

Fenugreek is an annual, and can get to 1 metre tall. When sown directly into the soil ('in situ') it usually reaches maturity within 4 months.

'Curry', as you know, is a blend of several or many different herbs and spices. The blend can vary depending on where the dish originates. A curry from the north of India will be quite different from a curry from the south of India, or from Indonesia, or Singapore or Malaysia or elsewhere. The 'heat' of a curry usually depends on the amount of chilli that is put in it - the flavour depends on the other herbs.

You've already mentioned coriander, cumin, fennel, garlic and chillies. These are all easy to grow. Cardamom, turmeric, ginger and galangal are also easy to grow if you can simulate tropical conditions for them. Others you might consider (also tropical or subtropical) are lemongrass, curry leaf tree, pepper, mustard, nigella, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, cinnamon or cassia, asafoetida, cloves, saffron, tamarind, allspice, and assorted Indian ones you've never heard of like kalonji, amchur (mango) or ajowan.

You need to do some homework. First, search your recipe books or the WWW to find the names of the many different herbs or spices which can be used. You might be surprised to find that herbs like thyme and basil (particularly Thai basil or Holy Basil) or mint or bay will be included amongst them.

Then you need to research each plant to find out how it grows - you'll quickly learn, for instance, that some of them come from very large trees, or huge climbing vines that may not be suitable for the average home garden due to their size, or the processing required, or in your climate.

I grow cardamom, and I'm in the subtropics. But I'm never going to get pods because I cannot allow the plant to reach full size - cardamom can get absolutely monstrous - far taller and wider than a large mansion. However, I use the leaves to give the cardamom flavour - much as I do bay leaves. You might have to compromise in similar ways.

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

When starting any seeds in pots, you should be using a good sterile seed starting medium. These allow excess moisture to drain off, while also keeping the seeds in a proper moisture environment. Sterile as you can never know what is in compost, manure, or other stuff that usually is oudoors in gardens. If you do plan to use a composted manure, expect damoping off and other fingal infections, or seeds not growing beyond a single set of leaves. Fungus gnats are also present in soils outside, and these tiny flies just love to infest each and every plant, lay eggs, the form maggots that destroy the roots. Beyond that, I don't know much about fenugreek, other than it has a hint of maple taste. SOme indian herbs and spices require tropical climates, or are gathered from trees. Tumeric, as little flavor, but is used mostly for the bright yellow color, its a ground up root. Nutmeg is also tropical and is a tree.

• nomorenicksleft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually, daisyduckworth, I am trying to grow peppercorns as well... no luck germinating those yet.

And I did just get some green and black cardamon pods at the indian grocer. Reading here though, sounds like I won't have as much success germinating them. But they're cheap and I thought I'd try.

Thanks everyone for all the advice, I'll get some of it growing somehow.

• Daisyduckworth
    15 years ago

Peppercorns from the supermarket won't germinate no matter how long you wait, or how many times you try. For one thing, they've been harvested when unripe (immature), then dried. White peppercorns are harvested when ripe, but the outer shells have been removed, so they are incomplete. You'll need to buy a plant.

• nomorenicksleft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They look like peppercorns from the store, but I got them from Reimer Nurseries if memory serves. And I hope they're a little more viable than the grocery store variety.

Dunno though, I've only had a batch of 4 in yogurt cups for about 3 weeks. Ready to give up on the first batch soon, but I'll try another soon enough and I'll be more careful this time.

Also, on the cardamom... will it not fruit if it doesn't get huge?

• coing
    15 years ago

Fenugreek greens are used a lot in Indian cooking. So you can let the plants grow as tall as you like, then harvest and cook as a fresh green. They have a bitter taste, and maybe you won't like them, but I do. By the way, dried fenugreek leaves are easily available in Indian grocery stores, called Methi. You can add a spoonful of dried powdered methi to flavor various recipes, including Palak Paneer, creamed spinach with cubes of fresh cheese.

• drannh_gmail_com
    15 years ago

I grow Fenugreek greens indoors year round without dirt. Whenever I sprout them for eating raw in salads or sandwiches, I save a handful of the seedlings and suspend them over an ice cube bin filled with water. I add liquid nutrients to the water every couple weeks, and aerate it with an air stone connected to a small fish tank pump. The water has with an air stone connected to a fish tank air pump. I grow sweet potato greens, basil, and many other tasty and nutritious greens this way for healthy eating.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of Fenugreek Seedling in Water

• ferry678
    12 years ago

Fenugreek seeds are close to super foods they provide much nurishment and can be used in many different methods.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fenugreke Seeds

• pvel
    12 years ago

Fenugreek can grow easily in warm weather in a pot with a potting mix like Miracle Gro. The leaves have a strong flavor and are used in certain Indian recipes. The seeds(ground up) are also used.

• eibren
    12 years ago

(I placed this in the other fenugreek thread currently active as well because of the safety issue--of course, this could be a concern with any seed used for sprouting, though. Apparently, there is no way to adequately sterilize such seed without making it nonviable):

Be careful with hygeine while planting fenugreek seeds if you got them from Thompson and Morgan or another out-of-country source; apparently the source of the toxic E Coli strain running around Europe right now is presently suspected of having been introduced on contaminated seed from Egypt. The seed is then believed to have contaminated the sprouts grown from them. It would only be a small percentage of seed affected, and I imagine that exposure to soil organisms MIGHT (I'm not a microbiologist) tend to kill them off. Maybe this would be something to ask someone in the Department of Agriculture, though.
    (see article in NYT)

• jseth23
    11 years ago

Hi,
    This is my first year growing fenugreek, and they've sprouted and grew pretty quickly in under a week. How did yours turn out?

http://theherbgardener.blogspot.com/2009/02/growing-fenugreek.html

• agmss15
    11 years ago

I think though could be wrong that the issue with contaminated seed particularly applies to sprouts. Sprouts are often eaten fresh and easily become breeding grounds for nasties. I'm less worried about a crop I grow to full size in order to harvest greens or seeds. BTW my fenugreek germinated fast in the ground in cold Maine soil. Looking forward to trying Methi.

• EdwinR
    10 years ago

I have seed of fenugreek from 1997 and mung beans, probably the same age, from when I ate sprouts as a semi-vegetarian. I bought a special plastic sprouter for the purpose. Now that I am retired I started doing sprouting again because sprouts are nourishing and good to eat. Seeds for sprouting have become very expensive here so I decided to grow my own. To my surprise almost all the fenugreek and mung beans sprouted. I planted a mung bean in a large pot when it started to sprout and took 2 fenugreek seedlings just after they started to sprout and planted them too. The mung bean is thick and strong in my window facing south. Unfortunately I did not know fenugreek would grow as tall as a metre or more so they are in the small pots I use for presowing seeds and rather thin. Although I have read that fenugreek does not like to be transplanted I have moved 1 to a larger pot. How wide should the pot be? On recommendation by Swedish and Finnish gardening experts I fertilize all my house and garden plants (including orchids) with my own urine diluted with the correct amount of urine except the ones that shun calcium which I fertilize with coffee grounds (for example my blue hydrangea which I do not want to turn pink), and my geraniums (pelargoniums actually) which need low-nitrogen fertilizer and for which I do not know how to make a natural fertilizer yet. Can anyone tell me if urine is a good fertilizer for fenugreek or does it have too much nitrogen? Perhaps coffee grounds would be better as they prefer slightly acidic soil. I wonder if urine diluted with 30 or 40 parts water is low in nitrogen or if the diluting makes no effect on the quantity of nitrogen. I have never had any success with pelargoniums and they are not doing well this year either. Thank you for any help you can give me.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Fenugreek is EASY to grow. Now is the time for fall planting. I just broadcast the seeds.(and cover of course)

Fenugreek, beside its culinary and medicinal use and properties, is considered a GREEN MANURE. Its root system is Nitrogen fixer and therefore is a good ground cover between other garden plants. It is very much like alfalfa , but annual.

• Bela Sethi
    8 years ago

Hey i am in the south

and have grown my fenugreek in pots just now in winter directly in pots under covered porch

they have some green leaves now

I covet them with a sheet at night

any suggestions how long will it be till it's ready to harvest

• priabi2006
    6 years ago

Hi.. am in west

i ve grown fenugreek seeds in a small pot and it start germinating.... but now the small pot is not enough for growing.

how can i transfer it into a big pot and how can i maintain it???

Thank you