Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mint in Dallas?

Posted by gardener972 7b-8a DFW (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 17:30

Does anyone grow mint in Dallas? If so, do you put it in full sun with our scorching summers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mint in Dallas?

I do, the area I have is shady in late afternoon. My biggest issue is the mint wants to take over the world.

o

What variety do you grow?

o

Oddly enough, I looked and the original stick was still there. Not very helpful, just says"Mint - Mentha species" and came from Bonnie Plants. I got it at Wally World.

o

Next time you prune it, let me know! (my account doesn't work through here so just post it on here)

o

I grew various mints in Phoenix AZ in the shade, I'm sure they'd grow in Dallas too.

o

Not sure about it in Dallas.

:-O

-------------------------------------
Dallas Forum

o

The mint in the 22 gallon tub has done just fine in full sun, even this last summer. Just water it! It likes water. This mint is either spearmint or peppermint, can't remember which. (I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell the difference.) Afternoon shade and light full shade have worked too although it didn't grow as well. The stuff in shade had escaped and is growing in the ground, so did not get watered well. I was wondering if it would die. Nope. It isn't taking over the world like mint does though... Yet.

o

'This mint is either spearmint or peppermint, can't remember which. (I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell the difference.)'

Merrybookwyrm - if you know what a peppermint sweet tastes like you can tell peppermint from other mints. No gardening knowledge required. Just have a nibble. If you were to use peppermint where spearmint is called for you would soon know the difference. If you haven't noticed a problem in your couscous, tzatziki or whatever you have spearmint.

o

Thank you, Flora. I hadn't thought of that (face-palm). It is spearment then.

o

Why do you worry about mint in the Dallas area? I have grown mint in Colorado and down on the coast here in Texas and it seems to do fine in all of those areas with or without shade. They just need moisture but seemed to well in Colorado where it is quite dry during their summers. spearmint has more rounded leaves and peppermint has more pointed leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here