Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I Use Dead Rosemary in Cooking

Posted by lyndapaz 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 4, 11 at 17:32

My 2 year old, 2 foot high Rosemary plant died this past month. I'm pretty sure it just dried out. (My dh thought I watered it, and I thought he had.) When removing the green, but dried leaves I noticed that many of them have a white spot at the end of the leaf where it is attached to the stem. I found 2 spots of what looks like mealy bug on one of the branches. Could the white spots on the leaves be mealy bug? What do you think about using the dried leaves in cooking? Not sure if I should be worried or not.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I Use Dead Rosemary in Cooking

Personally, I'm not over-keen on eating bugs, or their detriment. Your choice really, but even properly-dried herbs start off as freshly-picked, not dead.

o

Thanks, Daisy. I didn't think it would make much difference if it dried on the branch before cutting or after. And I'm still not sure what those white spots are, but it does make me queasy. I think I'll just boil it and use the extract for soap making. (I always wanted to give that a try.) I should think that would work. Hate to waste it. I have a couple of cups worth of leaves.

o

I did not know Rosemary suffered from any diseases. Not sure where you live of course.
But I disagree with the previous post. In this case, they are just dried on the plant, and dead of course, can't see the differnce.
Living in the Midwest rosemary dies in the winter but we still use it afterwards.

o

Hi Yardspace, I'm in SE PA, so it would die in winter, but I bring it in the house in a pot each fall and put it out after last frost date. When your plant dies in the winter, does it ever have really small white spots on the leaves at the stem? I thought maybe it wasn't from a bug, but just what happens when it dries on the stem. About 1/3 of the leaves have this spot on them, but it doesn't rub off as it would if it were from mealy bugs. Just not sure what it is.

o

I've had branches get damaged & dry before I noticed to remove them. I don't think I've ever seen a white spot. However, I wasn't looking closely since I had plenty of living plant to play with.

I think soapmaking sounds best.

o

About the only use that rosemary is good for is BBQ fire wood to add flavor But the best thing would be to dispose of all of it without using it for anything.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here