Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lavender

Posted by CaraRose 5b (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 17:52

I bought some lavender seeds (hidcote if I recall). I've followed the directions on the seed packet for indoor sowing and tried several different times. Not a single sprout. I've waited over a month on some before giving up.

Does lavender need to be stratified? The package had no indication that this was necessary.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lavender

I forget the germination needs of lavender. I vaguely recall a discussion here about putting them in a baggie w/ a wet paper towel and putting them somewhere warm like the top of a refrigerator -- but I could be misremembering. Search the back posts here for more info. Or google "lavender germination" to see what Dr. Google has to say.

FataMorgana

o

They like it warm and light. And they like to be right on top of the surface of the soil. I didn't do any stratification with my lavender and it all came up great -- but my house temp stays above 70 (usually 75-80). At lower temps, it gets fussier.

o

Well, I just checked a Seed Germination Database (linked below), and they had different results than I. The database does recommend cold stratification, cooler growing temps, and says germination is is 21-90 days (mine sprouted on day 7).

Might be a difference based on type of lavender. Or, maybe you just need to wait longer at lower temps -- that is how many seeds are.

Still confused about the requirement for cold stratification. The only way my seeds got that is if the nursery did it before shipping out the seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Germination Database

o

Most sowings fail for one simple reason: the seed is covered too deeply. As Alan Chadwick used to say, "Over cover, and you won't get germination. Under cover and you will still get germination (providing you don't let the seeds dry out). As a general rule, cover seeds approximately three times their diameter. The website below has a good description of general sowing techniques.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alan Chadwick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here