Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
batmanpez

I need a house herb expert, on mildew, lights, pots, and aphids.

batmanpez
14 years ago

I just bought four plants for my kitchen not a month and a half ago. Since then I've learned a lot about plants, but I'm pretty sure that if I don't learn faster, and find a friendly helpful forum to help me along, that all my plants will die before I get it figured out.

Those are my kitchen plants. We (my roommate and I) quickly realized that they weren't going to get enough sunlight through our kitchen window and bought a hanging light with matching plant bulbs. My plants don't seem to be turning towards the lamp though, and I'm worried that plant lights don't actually feed your plants like I thought they did. Any ideas on that?

My spearmint plant came down with an infestation of (I think, soybean) aphids. I believe I was under watering it and that's why it was weak enough to become infested. Now that I know how much I should be watering it, it's no longer absorbing as much water as it was, and I'm afraid that that's a sign its about to die on me. This is my second spearmint plant, and the second one to get these same aphids. I read somewhere that spearmint plants repel aphids. If that's true, why is my spearmint plant the only plant with aphids? And has anyone ever had an indoor edible plant that they cured of aphids? What did you do?

I bought ladybugs, dropped a few on the plant, and unleashed the remaining 1900-something ladybugs in an outside field. I have three ladybugs that stay with my spearmint plant, but its been about a week and the aphids are still multiplying. I think the ladybugs are just eating my mildew. I've just gone over the plant again with a toothpick and a paper plate because my spearmint plant is so pathetic looking that I have a hard time standing by and waiting to see if the ladybugs alone will work.

That's my rather pathetic looking spearmint plant. I've just sprayed the pot down with Ortho Ecosense Brand Garden Disease Control which is known (according to my local Home Depot gardener guy) to kill the powdery mildew that infected my chocolate mint plant first and then moved onto all the pots. The spray is also supposed to be environmentally friendly and good to use on plants you may want to eat off of later. I'm supposed to spray that onto my plant, and now my pots, about once a week until the mildew disappears. Any opinions on that? Better brands? Better tricks?

I understand the mildew was my fault for spraying the plant leaves with water and I'm now careful to only water the roots, but I'm afraid that since my pot absorbs the water and the plants are indoors at a constant temperature that the mildew will never go away. Not to mention that I'm worried the spray will hurt my plants. I don't understand how a spray meant to kill one form of growth wont kill the plant it's growing on.

Before the disease control spray the tips of my pineapple sage plants were (and are) turning brown and curling in. Anyone know what that's about? I also have a new pattern on one of the leaves. I'm wondering if there's a new bug I should be worried about since it looks like something got in there and ate away haphazardly at the inside of the leaf.

So far it's only on the one leaf, which is why I'm hoping to catch it early.

The only plant I have left is the lemon verbena. That one has brown spots towards the edges of the biggest leaves.

It was only small on one leaf and then started spreading to the others. There are no aphids on any of my plants but the spearmint, and the mildew is only on the chocolate mint and a little on the pineapple sage next to it, which I'm hoping to catch with the spray. The edges of the pineapple sage leaves were turning brown and curling inward before the spray. Any advice anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.

Comments (12)

• batmanpez
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh ya, and this on my pineapple sage...

Is that normal? What is it?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

Your lights aren't close enough to the plants to be helpful. Without sufficient light, plants cannot develop properly and will be disease and insect susceptible. Fluorescent lights can be less than 12 inches away from the plants! They don't have to be that close, but very close. Most people who use artificial lighting in their homes for plants use fluorescents because they remain cool (good for plants), and because they come in such a wide range of wave lengths known to be fairly close to what plants need. But they have to be CLOSE to the plant.

Ladybugs won't survive inside the home. They are meant to be released into the outdoor environment where they are free to escape to the next neighborhood, rather than tend to aphids in your yard. That's just what they do.

Spearmint does not repel aphids.

You are missing out on the most efficient method of getting rid of these pests. Rinsing with plain water and using your fingers to squish them. Take the darned plants to the sink!

Powdery mildew is one of the few fungal diseases that is NOT spread or caused by standing moisture on the leaves. As a matter of fact, spraying the foliage with plain water can successfully rinse off these spores, as long as they haven't infected the tissues. See an early problem with powdery mildew? Take it to the sink and spray with water.

I'm sure that you are aware of many products that are hazardous to one group of organism. Have you ever had to take an anti-biotic? It won't work on fungal or viral disorders, only bacterial infections. There are insecticides, fungicides, rodenticides, miticides, herbicides, etc., etc., that are more or less specific as to the type of life form they can kill or harm. Some are
    'broad spectrum', others are species specific.

I can't help you at all with questions about the fungicidal product you purchased without knowing the active ingredients. Some of the so called organic products contain copper, which can cause damage to a long list of plants, for example. Others may contain Neem oil or simply a vegetable oil. Neem is known to prevent AND cure powdery mildew.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Does your apartment have a balcony? It is very true that your herbs will grow much better outdoors. I grew mint outdoors in Phoenix in shade easily and rosemary grows so well in the sun that they use it all over in landscaping.

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

Even only summering in a window box or on a balcony can make a huge difference in herb survival and thriving. Is this possible for you?

FataMorgana

• batmanpez
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, we are going to lower the plant light. We don't have a balcony and we were hoping the plant light with the light that the plants get during the day might be more than enough light for all the partial shade plants we picked up.

The spray does have copper octonoate (copper soap) at 0.08%, so we'll go find something containing Neem and no copper if it's not too late. So Neem will work if the leaves are infected? Because it's looking pretty pathetic with all of its under foliage dying off and all the leaves look like they've absorbed the mildew. It can no longer be washed off. And my spearmint plant pot is still growing the mildew on the side even after I've sprayed the pot on numerous occasions with the mildew killer I do have.

So we'll try the Neem and see what happens.

Also, my pineapple sage is getting much worse.

The edges of the leaves, starting at the tips, on one side of the plant are all dying off. Any ideas?

And my lemon verbana...

The leaves are curling in, getting crispy, and it starts with those brown spots towards the edges of the leaves. o-0 I'm failing pretty bad right now at this green thumb thing...

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

That's mildew on the outside of the terra cotta pot? Looks more like minerals collecting on the pots as they often do. I live in an area of very hard water (sulphur, iron, and many more minerals) and white mineral deposits always can be seen on the outside of terra cotta pots, in saucers under the plants, and more in my house. Not pretty, but not harmful.

Look up "lime deposits" or "hard water" to learn more.

FataMorgana

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Daisy D, where are you?

Herbs are not meant to be indoor plants. Even at a sunny window sill.
    They want fresh air, breeze direct sun, rain, shine.
    Most of them like their feet dry, alkaline soil, very little fertilizing.

P.S. By "herbs" I am referring to the common conventions, as often mentioned in statement like "herbs and spices"

• batmanpez
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, but we can't have them outside because we have no outdoors room, so I'm going to have to see if I can make the plants I have thrive indoors. That's why I need your guys' help! ^_^

I have rocks at the bottom of the pots so that they drain and the water doesn't just sit in the pot. I won't fertilize them with miracle grow once a month if you think that'll hurt more than it helps. We do turn the air down to 73 or so at night. Could it be getting too cold? Since the leaves on my pineapple sage are all turning dark on the side towards the window I wondered if they could be getting too warm, but it hasn't even really hit 90 here yet.

If anyone has any ideas on the pineapple sage or lemon verbena leaves, let me know. Thanks!

• batmanpez
    Original Author
    13 years ago

After a trip down to the nursery that I got the plants from, I found a very helpful cashier that thought I might be over watering the plants. I asked him if the issue with the verbena and pineapple sage might be caused by any pests. Watering is one of the few things I was pretty sure I wasn't doing wrong. He told me about spider mites. When I came home I took a paper plate and shook my plants over it. Turns out the spearmint, sage, and verbena all have the two spotted spider mites. My chocolate sage has red spider mites. I sprayed all the plants with the Neem spray I bought at the store. Today I wiped the bottom of all my plant leaves with a damp paper towel. The lemon verbena was the only one I was able to just take to the sink and rinse off. The spearmint pot is a bit big to be trying to fit into my sink. I hope it gets better from here. I'm just worried that the two spotted mites will be resistant to the spray I have. I've read that they become resistant to a lot of pesticides, or miticides... Did I make that word up?

• nygardener
    13 years ago

Spider mites are often caused by warm, dry conditions. A good rinsing will help get rid of most of them. You can help keep them away with a humidifier (in heated or air-conditioned spaces) or by keeping a window open. You can also set the pots above trays of water, add gravel to your saucers so that they can hold a little water away from your plants, or put a baking dish of water on the radiator.

Produce a mild breeze with a fan; good air circulation will also help with things like powdery mildew.

It's important not to overwater; herbs are especially sensitive to this. Let the top inch of soil dry out before watering thoroughly. Make sure all of your pots drain properly (water runs out the bottom when you water them) and never let the plants have "wet feet", in other words don't ever let the pots sit in even a small amount of water.

A spray consisting of a teaspoon of baking soda to a quart of water, with a drop or two of dish soap, will help kill powdery mildew. Apply every week or two until the problem goes away. Meanwhile, promptly remove and throw away any branches that become mildewed.

Even though I don't have any outdoor growing space in my city apartment, I've been able to rig up a sunny outdoor window box that can grow herbs pretty well. Is this a possibility for you?

Neem is "organic" but I wouldn't want to eat it, partly because it smells like a cross between garlic and peanut butter and tastes terrible. Some of those other sprays, even if they're "environmentally friendly," sound even worse. If you can't grow herbs indoors without sprays, I'd suggest getting rid of them. You'll get cleaner, healthier produce at the farmer's market, and there are plenty of houseplants that are more tolerant of the indoor environment.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

"We do turn the air down to 73 or so at night". Sorry batmanpez but if that's 73f it's the equivalent of a hot summers day for spearmint. No way is it too cold more likely the opposite. Spearmint is a plant native to cool, moist areas. You need to imagine a damp English garden and try to reproduce that in your kitchen. As much light as you can give it but cool conditions. I would also trim it back to encourage more shoots. Your spearmint's leggy growth is etiolation, ie an attempt to grow towards a light source which causes long skinny pale growth. The problemsyou are having, even the bugs, are all related to the cultural conditions of the plants and until you can get those sorted out sprays are of limited use. You are treating the symptoms but not the causes. It's like giving aspirin in an attempt to treat malnutrition.

And I agree about the 'mildew' on the terracotta pot. It's mineral salts which frequently appear on new clay pots and bricks.

So, light, coolth, ventilation, more light and a haircut. Good luck.