Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ah9200

Herb/Vegetable garden in New house -HELP!

AH9200
11 years ago

We moved into a new house last fall, and everything is starting to grow now that spring is here. Below are some pictures I took. Can I get some help identifying what they are? And how should I care for the raised bed? Will the green onions come back again or should I plant more? Should I cut back the plant in back right?
What are the flowers?

I want to plant more herbs too since I can!

Im excited but am very new to gardening.

Thank you!

{{gwi:886562}}

{{gwi:886564}}

{{gwi:886566}}

{{gwi:886567}}

{{gwi:886568}}

Comments (5)

• gjcore
    11 years ago

Not sure about the first picture, 2nd one looks like garden sage, third one looks like rhubarb, no idea on the 4th one, 5th one looks like apple mint or lemon balm.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

The final photo looks like Lamium purpureum, a weed or possibly Lamium amplexicaule, Henbit. A view of the flower from the side would help id it definitely. It isn't either mint or lemon balm.

No.2 is Salvia officinalis - culinary sage
    No.3 is rhubarb
    No.4 could be either Lovage or Angelica. On balance I'd go for Lovage.

• balloonflower
    11 years ago

I agree with the sage and lovage. I am a little surprised at the lovage, since it is a very large plant for a raised bed. The sage plant does not need pruning, unless you want to for cosmetic reasons.

If I were in your situation, I would consider starting new, with plants that I prefer for my tastes. The sage would transplant, should you choose to keep it. I like knowing where my plants came from. But do some research too on spread- if the one plant is a mint or lemon balm, it will overtake the entire bed with runner roots. Also consider water requirements- sage, thymes, oreganos like more drought conditions, while basils and mints like a lot more water.

As far as raised bed care, search forums. I am not super familiar with them, but believe they need more of a certain soil type, and may need fertilizing more often than in ground beds.

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

I agree with all the ID's. Lovage would also be my suggestion. That cluster of new growth looks like what a perennial like lovage would do. (Angelica is a biennial.) I'd also say Lamium, perhaps L. purpureum, for the last as well.

I wouldn't prune the sage either. Wait until after it blooms late spring/early summer if you have to - and the blooms are beautiful. And sage isn't that tough to save seeds from and it is reasonably easy to grow from seed if you want to start some new plants.

FataMorgana

• bardamu_gw
    11 years ago

At this point in the year I would just buy some herbs, maybe edible flowers, in pots and plant them. I'd avoid planting anything aggressive like strawberries and mints (and weeds) in that box.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!