Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing peppercorn plants (piper nigrum)...

Posted by nomorenicksleft Georgia, USA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 08 at 18:15

I ordered some peppercorn seeds from Reimer a few weeks back. They're cheap enough that if I never get them to grow, I won't feel cheated. Anyway, I don't know exactly what I expected when they arrived... I've seen peppercorns (unground pepper) before, and I realized they were (at least partially) the seed itself. The seeds look pretty much like any other peppercorn, though hopefully more viable.

I planted 4 for now, I've got them in plastic yogurt cups, a quarter inch deep in good black soil (I believe it was a 50/50 mix of some cheap potting soil and Moo-nure from Home Depot). I keep them moist, using a spray bottle, the soil never gets dry but it does drain well. So far, it's been over two weeks and not even a hint of germination.

Does anyone have any advice? Am I just being impatient?

Supposing I do get them to grow, I was thinking of putting them in a 1 gallon plastic planter (about 9" dia, 12" deep) and using one of the round wire cages as a trellis. The one I have for this is roughly 40" tall... will this be tall enough? I had thought that would be plenty for my snap peas, but they needed more, and I end up repeating the same mistake with every vining plant I try to grow.

What kind of lighting will these plants need? Can I keep them in the partial shade indoors near a window? How long will they live, will I have to plant new ones each season?

I'd like very much to grow my own pepper if I can. I do know that Georgia probably isn't the ideal location for them, but I'm willing to try to reproduce an environment that the plants favor.

Finally, one last question. Supposing I'm mostly successful, what kind of yields can I expect per plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing peppercorn plants (piper nigrum)...

I don't have much, but it might help:

Perennial climbing vine to 10 metres. Native to south-west India. Berries grow in clusters, on long spikes. A single stem will bear 20-30 fruiting spikes. Each spike may produce 50 or more single-seeded fruits. Green berries turn red as they ripen. Propagate by seeds, planted 1cm deep, or by cuttings. Needs plenty of water, shade, humidity and heat. It takes 3-4 years before the first fruit can be harvested. Plants are most productive when about 8 years old but will continue bearing for up to 30 years. The plant needs a support such as a trellis. It will grow well when its roots are waterlogged and is suitable for planting near a pond. Hardy to 0C although growth will retard and damage may occur below 4C.

Clusters of peppercorns are harvested after 3 years from planting the cuttings. For black peppercorns, harvest the berries before they are fully ripe, when they are still green, then dry. For white peppercorns, berries should be picked once they are fully ripe and the red outer shell removed, leaving a grey-white kernel.

o

This plant is a pain to start from seed. It is way, way easier to start from a rooted cutting.

Like many tropicals, it hates its seeds to be watered with tap water because chlorine, alkaline minearls, or salts found in tap water inhibit its sprouting. It needs very pure water such as rainwater or reverse-osmosis water.

The seeds you have are quite possibly dormant too. As with many tropical berries, the germination of over-ripe pepper seeds is reported to be greater than the germination of less mature seeds. Seed suppliers can't usually let the pepper berries get over-ripe because it is messy and risks birds making off with the crop. So they are harvested before that stage and this causes dormancy.

Treatments to the seed coat and alternating temperatures may promote germination, but careful regulation of moisture, temperature and light in the environment may be necessary for germination to occur. Make sure the seeds are kept at a temp as close as possible to 25 degrees Celsius and do not let them dry out.

Scarification (pre-treatment to break dormancy) with concentrated sulphuric acid, for 2 minutes to simulate what happens when the seeds are eaten by birds or animals, followed by thorough rinsing and then low light sowing is recommended for this species. Applying red light for 2 hours every 8-12 hrs also may help.

In nursery cultivation seeds may germinate satisfactorily provided they are sown shallow, or on top of sand, or in the shade. It is suggested that seeds of Piper spp. be tested for germination at 25C with red light applied, for 2 hours in every 8-12 hours.

Sources: personal experience and URL below. The online document is a manual from Bioversity International on seed testing for seedbanks. Seedbanks need to keep track of germination techniques for all their plants, so they can test seeds for viability.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bioversity International

o

So, how did this work out for you?

o

I've been growing the black and red varities of this plant for a couple of years. Last year the black pepper finally had pepper pods on it. It was incredible. There certainly wasn't enough for my family of 5, but I had great fun picking off the seeds and letting people try them. The flavor is MUCH hotter and stronger than the dried black pepper we purchase here in the US. My plants have been moved several times in the last couple of years due to home renovations, but they always snap back without a problem. One in particular is quite large and taking over the side of my house. I purchased all of them as very small plants rather than trying from seed. If you would like a picture of the large one, just email and I'll get one posted for you. Good luck!

o

I have a plant that has become a proverbial weed.
When some of the seeds fall off the plant they germinate pretty easilly in the warm and humid atmosphere.
The seedlings are slow to grow once sprouted, but after a few years they grow very fast. Anywhere the vine touches soil, it roots in and sprouts again.
They seem to like lots of moisture, the part growing near the pond is growing much faster then where its drier. In the spring it gets its flower spikes, you can barely even see the flowers, and are followed by the berries. As mentioned previously, the flavor is much stronger when picked right from the plant, I love to pick one and chew on it while doing some yard work, but be sure to have plenty of water, the flavor is VERY intense

o

I have tried to grow them from seeds but they never germinate. Any ideas? Where can I buy the plants? thanks a lot......rick

o

Companion Plants has it. They are an herb nursery in Ohio who mail plants.

o

Thanks, would have their e-address?......rick

o

www.companionplants.com

o

Thanks a lot.......rick

o

I have a piper nigrum for about a year. The plant has little white round things on the underside of the leaf. I thing it may be some kind of nutrient going out of the plant. Any ideal what this may be and how to fix it.

o

I've been reading this and other forums on the plant for 2 years now.
I got some seeds and had zero success - until a couple of weeks ago.
Normally it is very humid here in Auckland but last year wasn't. Took a while this year too, but a few weeks ago the humidity arrived so I put 5 more seeds in some home made compost.
Watered with tap water and waited. Finally have a seedling now, it's just started its 4th leaf.....so it really does want a LOT of humidity, I'd say it doesn't care much about anything else, cause I'd tried all these other suggestions and finally now, just a pot, compost and 5 seeds I have finally got one.
I am a wee bit worried it will go mad and sprout all over, but hey, I can also spend the rest of my life weeding them out!

This post was edited by pctek on Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 14:43

o

Thank you for the information, pctek. Could you tell about the temperature? From what I've read, it should be +25C plus/minus 5C. Thank you.

o

This thread is a bit old but if any of the Central Florida folks who have rooted cuttings of piper nigrum are still around, I'd be interested in a few.

Thanks!

Dunning

o

This thread is a bit old but if any of the Central Florida folks who have rooted cuttings of piper nigrum are still around, I'd be interested in a few.

Thanks!

Dunning

o

Yes black pepper germinates from seeds.

However in Malabar(Kerala) propagation of black pepper is usually done by cuttings and not by seed, it is much easier and reliable.

You can attempt to sow seeds provided you do not get the pepper balls from super market because the ones that are on shelves are processed and they will not germinate.
Also peppercorns are not allowed to ripen on the vine. they are harvest much before that so again germination gets effected.

Look for farmers who can source you good ripe seeds.

We boil the peppercorns in water just after harvesting and sun dry it for 3 days. This increases the shelf life and color of black pepper.

Attached image is of peppercorns germinated while still holding the peppercorncap.

You can read more here. I own and manage this blog. Trying to document the traditional farming knowledge of Kerala. Only sad part is more than 80% of traditional wealth is lost because of green and white revolution.

http://naturalfarmerskerala.com/black-pepper-endemic-to-western-ghats-of-kerala/

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Pepper from kerala

o

I know this is an old thread- but I have an active peppercorn plant- seems to be growing up happily but it has these crystals on the leaves- they look like tiny salt crystals- & I cannot, for the life of me figure out what they are.

I life in New England, so my peppercorn plant is an indoor one & relatively young. I looked up whitefly & it doesn't appear to be that... thoughts?

Thank you in advance, I'm stumped.

o

Crystals? Do you spritz or spray it with water? Well water in my area of NY State is notoriously "hard" - ie full of minerals. That can leave white deposits on just about anything the water has dried on. Maybe in your location too?

FataMorgana

o

Insect Eggs?

o

Not eggs and not mineral deposits. Its just a normal part of the plant's growth. I live in CT near a tropical plant greenhouse, Logee's and they have answered this question for me. Nothing to worry about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here