Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
prostate rosemary ... where to buy

Posted by vieja z7NM (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 08 at 18:18

I've seen prostate (I used to think it was spelled 'prostrate' .. as this plant did lay flat!)rosemary plants planted on top of a low wall & it grew down over the wall ... so pretty! Anyone know of a nursery where I can buy some plants? I live in zone 7 (got down to 11 degrees couple of nights this winter)& wonder if it would do well here. I have a 5 ft. rosemary 'tree' that has survived outdoors here for years ... ever expecting this herb to grow so big!

Thanks for any ideas!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: prostate rosemary ... where to buy

Is there a good photo anywhere on some site that shows the plant up close & trailing over a wall or ledge?

o

For both posters, try the following link.

I have gotten wonderful product and service from Territorial Seed for years. They are not the cheapest place I order from but the plants and seeds I've ordered have always been top notch.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Territorial Seeds - Prostate Rosemary

o

FataMorgana: I have used Territorial Seed Co. in the past but for some reason they didn't send me their catalog this season! I've read not to start this rosemary from seed as it is slow but I'd like to buy the plants. I place quality over cost most times!

o

Just FYI - prostate is a gland associated with the male reproductive and urinary system. Prostrate means to lie down.

Its prostrate rosemary.

Here is a link that might be useful: prostrate rosemary

o

Granite if you look at the tags 90% in this country spell it like the gland. One of those oddities in plant names.

o

Granite: the reason it is spelled both ways is because as an herb it is supposed to have properties good for the 'prostate' gland (I know what that is!)& because it is a trailing herb it is also referred to as 'prostrate' rosemary.

Thanks maifleur for your acknowlegement!

-vieja

o

LOL, just 'cuz they spell it wrong doesn't make it right, kind of like when folks don't know when to use their, there, or they're.

Anyways, I got my Prostrate Rosemary from Rowland's, which unfortunately doesn't exist anymore. It's a great plant and has spread out on the ground quite nicely. I'd love to replace all of my "fitzer" junipers with this plant - it's great, and smells much better than those dirty prostrate juniper bushes - blech!

Nowdays, locally I'd probably try Osuna Nursery or High Country Gardens.

o

Hi vieja-

Territorial Seed sells a prostrate rosemary plant. See the link I included above.

FataMorgana

o

Thank you everyone ...

alb.bob7 :

I did some telephoning & lo & behold: I found that Jerico Nursery on Alameda just east of 1st St. right here in Albuq. has the trailing (spell it how one wishes!)Rosemary plants they say! Think the owner used to be with Rowland's before they went out of business:(

Do you prefer the trailing rosemary over the trailing/'rug' junipers? Do they drop the 'needles'off & on during the year as the junipers do? How is the root system of the rosemary ... would they invade the wall where we want to plant them above to over-hang? My 'tree' rosemary is full of blue blooms right now & is very neat & tidy.

o

I far & away prefer the rosemary to those rug junipers. They don't produce nearly as much 'litter' (although there is some), and they just smell a lot better. Those junipers seem to get full of spider webs as well which I don't see on the rosemary. Plus you can always use rosemary - clip some for the BBQ, for soups, sauces, whatever - you can't do that with junipers, hehe.

As for the root system, I think the rosemary may try to root through openings in the wall if there is any exposed dirt or damp areas that the trailing branches contact for any length of time, otherwise it will probably just trail down the wall without setting additional roots. Those juniper roots will probably push the wall out from behind, they can get quite substaintial as they age.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here