Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gertie2u2

Pairing Basil plantings ok?

gertie2u2
14 years ago

Is there any problem planting basil with tomato plants? What about roses? Ok with pansies? What about bulbs like daffodils? Sorry, had not even thought about this when I planted basil in my front garden bed until I saw another thread.

Comments (5)

• gardenathome
    14 years ago

Hi, Gertie2u2! Basil and tomatoes are perfect companions. So they're well matched. Not sure about with roses or pansies though. Many herbs go well planted next to veggies. You can do a search for "companion plants" or planting and can find a variety of combinations for your garden! :-)

• gertie2u2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, it might be a little too late to really worry about it. Probably was a silly idea, but I have a lovely bed in the front of my house which was put there by previous owners with four rose bushes. I've grown veggies before, but know little about flowers, so I decided to fill in the spaces with tomato plants and basil. Part of the reason was that my house faces south, so behind a rose bush was the only place for the tomatoes to have a little shade. What I have now is a front garden that goes pansy, basil, rose, cherry tomato, basil, rose, tam pepper, rose, basil, cherry tomato, rose, basil, pansy. Hopefully they will be happy together. On the porch I have a container garden brought over from my apartment containing mint, oregano, sage, cilantro, and two really large containers, one with a bell pepper and one with a medium tomato variety.

On the other side of my door, I have a large area containing only one lonely rose bush (guess either they took the rest with them or they died) and a row of daffodils that need thinned out, or at least I think that is why they've not really bloomed well. My plan is to get another rose bush since the remaining is on one end, to sort of balance it out, thin out the daffodils and move them forward a bit to allow for glads behind. If the basil could be happy in this bed, I love the smell and would love to put perhaps three or four around each rose bush. I plan to edge the bed with some leaf lettuce and behind that a row of radishes. That would leave a space in the middle between the two rose/basil plantings for....I don't know, strawberries appeals to me. If you are guessing I'm a tad unconventional in my gardening, you'd be right. When I previously lived in a house, I always had in front of the bushes planted in the front a bed edged in leaf lettuce and radishes with strawberries between. It actually looked quite pretty, and neighbors often asked me about my pretty plantings. :)

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Tomatoes will outgrow basils and shade. Basils need all the sun they can get,

I plant tomatoes in my onions and lettuce patches. By the time tomatoes get big, onions
    will be ready to harvest and lettuce are gone. You can do various other
    that like cool shade and have short life. Cilantro is one.

• nancyjane_gardener
    14 years ago

I've been growing tomatoes and basil together for years in zone 8ish.
    During those hot August afternoons, the basil seems to like the partial shade they get form the sun. The ones that are left out in the sun bolt much faster. JMHO NT

• opal52
    14 years ago

I tried growing basil as a companion plant with tomatoes. The basil ended up with too much shade from tomatoes and didn't do well at all. In my area, it really needs full sun as do tomatoes.

The key I found to controlling flowering on basil is to harvest frequently. Some of our plants we let go to flower on purpose because the bees like it so much. Also, hummingbirds.