Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First time Mint Grower

Posted by cubesworth (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 28, 09 at 18:43

HI All,

I am a first time herb grower that recently moved into a beautiful little apartment in Montreal, Canada that would like to take advantage of the sun here and grow some fresh mint for Mojitos this summer.

My question is relating to the planter; I found a nice and big (LONG) planter that I am going to hang from my balcony, but it's been painted. Is it a bad idea for me to use this previously painted box for growing mint? is there a risk of the paint affecting the mint or being poisonous?

Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First time Mint Grower

Yes - but only if the paint has a lead content, which is extremely unlikely in this day and age.

o

Mint is one of the herbs that grow very well in containers since it can become very invasive in a garden. It's also a wonderful "potted herb" for apartment dwellers.

I never recommend growing anything you plan to eat in painted or certain types of metal containers. Paints have chemicals that will leach into your soil, thus contaminating your herbs.

If you have the room on your balcony, try to find a half whiskey barrel. I've used these with great success in planting mints and container tea gardens, and I've planted up to seven tea herbs in one barrel.

Good luck!

o

Mint needs more moisture than many other herbs, such as sage and thyme. Especially in full sun, you will need to make certain the soil stays lightly moist. A mulch might help a bit, but in weeks that it doesn't rain, expect to water at least once or twice a week.

A large planter will be rather heavy once filled with soil and watered; make certain to use hardware that can support at least 50 to 100 pounds (when it rains or gets windy more force will be exerted on the planter).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here