Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cloning Problems

Posted by Jtharpe 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 19:03

I'm attempting to clone lemon balm, peppermint, basil, mint, rosemary, and parsley. And right now it seems like none of them are doing well. They're all wilting even though I have them in a humidity dome with a lot of moisture. I dipped each cutting in Clonex gel before putting them into Rapid Rooters. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cloning Problems

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 20:59

Are you doing stem cuttings, root cuttings? When did you start? What are the light conditions?

I'm not familiar with rapid rooters. I generally use seed starter/ cutting mix though sometimes I will use a potting mix.

All that you listed except parsley are generally easy to get rooted. Parsley can not be rooted with stem cuttings.

o

Sounds like your plants are getting stressed somehow. If not from dry or too wet conditions, maybe there's too much light or it's too warm?

I've had great luck with cuttings in indoor temperatures and low heat grow light. I've had excellent results with fine vermiculite mix.

o

They're all stem cuttings and I put them in the rapid rooters yesterday at noon. They're not under any fluorescents yet but they are sitting in the window sill where they get a little sun but no direct sunlight. its 74 F in my apartment right now and because they're in the dome its probably around 80 or so. do you think that may be too hot?

o

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 11:57

I would back them off from the window some if possible. Fluorescent would be better light source. 74 F in the apartment sounds ok.

o

And, as advised, you can't grow parsley from stem cuttings.

o

Update on the clones: They're all doing a lot better now and none of them are wilting. I think it was just the transplanting that made them go into shock. Anyhow, thank all of you for the help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here