Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water Mint

Posted by pomme8916 7 (joair89@inbox.com) on
Fri, Apr 17, 09 at 19:08

Hello I know it's been soo lon since I've posted and I decided to come back. Anyhow, I have some water mint that was growing around. I was just wandering if this mint is suitable for cooking or eating? Any responses are greatly apreciated. Thank you,

pomme8916

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water Mint

Water or Bog Mint (Mentha aquatica): This aggressive mint is ideal for growing along the margins of water gardens, though care must be taken that it doesnt become troublesome. The Bog Mint grows to a height of up to 1 metre. It produces pairs of very fragrant, elliptic-shaped, serrated leaves that are usually tinted with purple and shaded with even more purple on their undersides. The leaves grow from reddish coloured stems. In the summer, whorls of lilac coloured flowers grow at the stem tips.

Harvesting: Harvest the leaves as the plant comes into flower and can be dry for later use.

Culinary Uses: The leaves can be eaten raw or cooked. They have a strong distinctive peppermint-like fragrance. They can be used as a flavouring in salads or cooked foods, but are too pungent for most people to use as a flavouring.

Medicinal Uses: A tea made from the leaves has traditionally been used in the treatment of fevers, headaches, digestive disorders and various minor ailments. It is also used as a mouth-wash and a gargle for treating sore throats, ulcers, bad breath.

o

Pomme - you must have been reading my mind. I was staring at my M aquatica yesterday pondering exactly the same thing. And Daisy - thanks for answering a question I never even had to ask! By the way it was very easy to grow from fresh seed gathered along the local river. I now have it in my garden pond.

o

Sorry i could not respond. I was having trouble connecting to the site. Bu I wanted to thank you all. flora UK; you were able to get seed? They grew?

o

Yes. It grows along the banks of local rivers and the canal. I just collected some gone over flower heads, shook out the seeds and sowed then straight away in a tray (flat) of homemade compost. I left that outdoors all winter and ignored it. They came up in the spring and then I transplanted clumps of seedlings around my little pond (in the shallow muddy bit at the edge.) Can't claim any credit for skill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here