Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hunapu

Basil seedlings doing something odd

hunapu
14 years ago

I searched this and didn't see an answer, so I'll ask it here:

I am growing a bunch of pots with basil. I planted a bunch of the seeds and they have now sprouted to where they usually have a couple of tiny leaves.

I do realize I need more sun on them, they get about 4 hours of direct light a day and i need to put a plant light on there to get it better.

ANyhow, tho, I noticed that as I was about to thin out the seedlings, some of them had NO leaves at all! Like there is this little stem with nothing on it. It is still green.

Also, some of the leaves look like something ate it.

But I have seen no evidence of insects. I even sprinkled a little diatomaceous earth in the pot to make sure tere weer no nematodes. No bugs are flying, and I can't see anythign on the leaves or anything like mites.

I did see once a good garlic recipe for watering them with if it's a fungal problem, it involved boiling some garlic in a little water and just watering with that. (Anyone have the link? I was looking for it today).

Anyhow, if anyone can tell me what's going on that would be much appreciated. The last time I tried to grow basil they all just croaked.

Thx

Comments (11)