Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Herbs and stuff

Posted by Call.me-Ino8 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 19:58

Hiya, my name isn't Ino, but you can call me by that. I just joined today, yay me!

Anyway... I joined because my grandma is starting up a nursery and I thought it would be fun to grow some herbs and sell them.

So far I have these herbs in a greenhouse:

German Chamomile
Anise Hyssop
Feverfew
Toothache plant
Blue Spice Basil
Catnip

I started them from seed and am just about to transplant them into a more permenant setting.

What I really want to know, is a good way to sell them and good prices, stuff like that. It would be nice to know if it would be better to sell them in pots or dried or what. Just a general idea of what would be best would be marvelous.

Many thanks to you all :):):)

~Ino***

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Herbs and stuff

Prices are not consistent every place. What are the nurseries in your area selling small herb plants for?

As for fresh vs. dried, depends upon the herb and intended use.

FataMorgana

o

Another tip would be to find out the botanical name for each plant you are growing so when you sell them they have the correct label. That would be really helpful for your customers.

There is a Market Gardener Forum here on GW where professional growers post. They might have some ideas for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Market Gardener

o

To fatamorgana- The problem is, my grandma's nursery is the only one in town, that's one reason she started one to begin with. Stores like Walmart and our local farm supply stores and Atwoods, only supply them for a short time.

To flora_uk- Botanical name as in scientific name? Or what? Thanks for the link :)

~Ino***

o

Yes - the scientific name.

o

What do your local farm supply stores sell them for? You need some local frame of reference to go by. The price in NYC is different than Boise and that is different than [substitute in your small town]. Asking for generic prices here isn't going to be the best answer for you. Obviously, pricing too high/low for you market is going to be a problem so you do have to do some local price comparisons. You don't have to underbid the competitors, but you have to be in the ballpark.

You can also check the online herb vendors as another data point.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here