Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lily603

herb planting in april?

lily603
13 years ago

made a trip to Black Creek in Lancaster, pa and as usual was unable to walk away empty handed. I bought about a dozen herbs (2 for 2.69 how coyuld i resist). There in the back of my van with lid slightly ajar. Our weather is ifffy in april and i'm wondering how soon i can plant these lovlies without danger of a nip of frost. that is, how much cold could they stand? should i wait til may? I didn't buy any perennials yet as i have no place to keep them warm and protected til may.

Comments (5)

• PaperFinch
    13 years ago

You should be fine. I have all my herbs in the garden already and they're look happy to be there. I think in our zone the damaging cold is pretty much behind us.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

The average last frost date in my location is April 15. I usually find that it's a good idea to pay attention to those estimations. I've heard threats of 30s later this week!

lily, you should call your local extension office to find out when the "last expected frost date" is. It varies, of course, from one place to the other. They will know what you mean and have the information at hand.

So, what kinds of herbs did you get?

Here is a link that might be useful: Your extension contact information

• seysonn
    13 years ago

Also it depend on the type of herbs. For example, Thyme, Oregano, sage, lavender, parsley, chives, cilantro can be transplanted withouth worrying about LFD. But Basils, summer savory, dills,..like somewhat warmer air and soil.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

Zone 6 has your last frost date in May. Planting tender items outside before then is a gamble. I wait until May here in Western NY State.

I linked in a google search - pick the first choice for a lookup of your last frost date by zipcode.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Google - Last frost date by zip code

• wally_1936
    13 years ago

When we lived in Michigan they use to sell cold caps for those sudden cold nights. They were just pieces of cardboard tent shaped to cover for a little added protection which we took off during the day if the it warmed back up to a save temp. I would think even a cardboard box would do the job for shot periods of time if that was necessary. If there is a breeze then a rock on the top of the box should do the trick.